Front forks play.

Howie1987
Howie1987 Posts: 11
edited October 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Bit of a strange one.

When i'm going over bumps i feel a viberation/play coming through the handlebars. It kind of feels like headset is loose but i checked that and its not that.

Its a trek roscoe 8 2019. Someone told me apparently they do that and it comes from the brakes and its ment to do it.

When i hold front brakes and put pressure forward theres play. Doesnt seem normal to me.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Howie1987 wrote:
    Bit of a strange one.

When i'm going over bumps i feel a viberation/play coming through the handlebars. It kind of feels like headset is loose but i checked that and its not that.

Its a trek roscoe 8 2019. Someone told me apparently they do that and it comes from the brakes and its ment to do it.

No and why would the brakes effect the forks going over bumps? Vibration and play are different things. You might need to be a bit more specific.
    Howie1987 wrote:
    When i hold front brakes and put pressure forward theres play. Doesnt seem normal to me.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

If you mean rolling the bike forward a fraction - the pads move a little in the calipers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    CD is right. 2019 bike should not worn unless you have done huge mileage. If bought from a shop, take it there as it is difficult to diagnose these problems remotely.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The front wheel rocking slightly with the brake on is normal as the pads move slightly in the calliper.

Your wheel could be moving in the lowers.

For both the fork bushes and the headset, lay a finger across the joint and rock the bike back and forwards and see if you can feel relative movement.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    If it's vibration then have you set the sag in the fork correctly, have you overinflated the tyres, 18psi is what I'd put in them.

If it's play, take it back to the shop where you bought it and get them to check it over.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Is your wheel properly secured, everything in the correct place and with the correct tension?
  • Everything is tightened.

It's coming from the brakes. When i pull the front brake and push forward there is a click through the handlebars which feels like the headset kind of but its from the brakes if that makes sense.

But also when on rough terrain i get a kind of viberation through the handbars like its the brakes that are rattling. I'm probably not explaining it very well. Tbh it wasn't as noticable today when i was out.

Cheers for all the replys. It's going back in nextweek for tuberless so get them to look at it then.
  • The Rookie
    That’s perfectly normal for brakes, and if you aren’t braking they can’t cause a vibration, 2+2 does not equal 5!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    That’s perfectly normal for brakes, and if you aren’t braking they can’t cause a vibration, 2+2 does not equal 5!

Haha. I know. But is it not possible for them to be rubbing or somthing?
  • The Rookie
    Quite possible for them to be rubbing, some light rubbing is perfectly normal.