Tarmac SL6 - 2019 and Dura Ace 9100 Crankset

t824601
t824601 Posts: 4
edited October 2018 in Workshop
Hi Guys,

First time posting here, figured some of you pros had an easy answer for my dilemma.

I recently purchased a Specialized 2019 SL6 Tarmac frame. The project is going very well until I got to the bottom bracket and the Shimano Dura ace 9100 crankset.

I purchased a Ceramic Speed BB30 Shimano compatible bottom branket. This bad boy here: (https://www.ceramicspeed.com/en/sport/s ... mano-road/)

Figured this would pretty easy, compatible Shimano BB30 with a Dura ace cranket set.

Seems the problem is the spindle goes in extremely tight. The beginning and the end seem slightly bigger than 0.24. I just can't get them to fit in completely so I can attach the arm on the other end.

Any of you Wiz has any tips? Anyone ever tried to fit the SL6 Tarmac with a BB30 and a Shimano Crank? Or does it just not work and I have to get another BB30? If that is the case what is a great crankset for BB30 with a DI2 setup?

Any help would be much appreciate from you bike mechanic Gods :)!

Thanks!!!

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Maybe you're just being a little too timid about assembling things.

IME new cranksets into new BB bearings can be temperamental and you need to apply some "persuasion" in the form of a rubber/plastic mallet or similar with something to protect the end that you are hammering.

Might sound a bit extreme but I found it necessary on at least 2 occasions when building frames and installing new cranksets into the BB
  • arlowood wrote:
    Maybe you're just being a little too timid about assembling things.

IME new cranksets into new BB bearings can be temperamental and you need to apply some "persuasion" in the form of a rubber/plastic mallet or similar with something to protect the end that you are hammering.

Might sound a bit extreme but I found it necessary on at least 2 occasions when building frames and installing new cranksets into the BB

You could be right, I did try using a rubber malet and some dampening on the crank. It was never able to get it to fully set. Taking it out of there was a complete nightmare. Maybe I just need to bring it to my local lbs and see what they have to say.

In your opinion the CeramicSpeed BB30 Shimano Road should be compatible with the tarmac correct? Not possible it Pretrudes too much and it's not made for that frame?

Thanks for your thoughts!
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Having greased the spindle you just need to whack it home with a rubber mallet or similar. Brace the frame so it can't move.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Thank you guys, will give it another guy!

Its really good to hear its not a compatibility issue, was starting to think would not work with the frame. Thanks!