Hydraulic Brakes bike

sextoke1
sextoke1 Posts: 133
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Thinking of getting a bike with hydraulic disc bike. I normally drop the back seat in my car and remove the front wheel and put the bike in on its side. I would do this the night before. For the summer evening rides, the bike could be in the car for 24 hours and I would have done 70 miles in the car before the bike would be removed. In the summer the car would get warm. My question is, is this an advisable way to transport the bike or would it have to be upright for most of the time, or would there be issues with the brake fluid ?

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,626
    sextoke1 wrote:
    Thinking of getting a bike with hydraulic disc bike. I normally drop the back seat in my car and remove the front wheel and put the bike in on its side. I would do this the night before. For the summer evening rides, the bike could be in the car for 24 hours and I would have done 70 miles in the car before the bike would be removed. In the summer the car would get warm. My question is, is this an advisable way to transport the bike or would it have to be upright for most of the time, or would there be issues with the brake fluid ?
    I do this all the time, albeit in winter. The rest of the time it's hung by the front wheel. If you invert these systems, There's supposed to be a risk of air bubbles in the reservoir getting into the lines and increasing sponginess a bit but it's not going to cause a leak or anything like that. I confess I do have brake rub quite often, which is supposed to be air in the system expanding. But I've bled these brakes precisely once in the last two years which is probably the main reason.
  • My bike goes on the roof and in the back of the car in all weathers. Never had a braking issue.
    58585 Posts: 207
    Probably worth putting a pad spacer in if you'll be lifting the bike in and out of a car with the front wheel out.
  • First.Aspect
    oxoman wrote:
    Shouldn't be an issue, as above use pad spacers just in case.
    The only reason you could possibly need spacers is if the brake lever gets depressed with the wheel out. In order for this to be a problem, it would need to bring the pads closer than the width of the disc and/or to happen repeatedly. I can honestly say that in 4 years of stuffing my bike into the back of a saloon car to drive part way to work in winter (to where the roads are treated) I have never had this problem.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I've seen this occasionally with mtbs where you get it out of the car and there is no pressure, just pump the lever a few times and it'll come back fine. If it seems to do it more or not come back properly then it's time to get them bled
  • First.Aspect
    HaydenM wrote:
    I've seen this occasionally with mtbs where you get it out of the car and there is no pressure, just pump the lever a few times and it'll come back fine. If it seems to do it more or not come back properly then it's time to get them bled
    Actually, this does lead to a good point. Worth checking your brakes before you set off each time. I live at the top of a hill. There's a t function 1 mile away down a 10% pitch. I've more than once pulled the disc brake bike off the hook after a week or so, and realised as I'm heading towards that T-junction at 25 mph that the brakes haven't been used for a long time.

Not a good idea.
  • haydenm
    HaydenM wrote:
    Actually, this does lead to a good point. Worth checking your brakes before you set off each time. I live at the top of a hill. There's a t function 1 mile away down a 10% pitch. I've more than once pulled the disc brake bike off the hook after a week or so, and realised as I'm heading towards that T-junction at 25 mph that the brakes haven't been used for a long time.

Not a good idea.

Nothing like a near death experience to get the heart rate up for the beginning of a ride! :lol:

I've ridden MTBs in the past where if you didn't drag the brakes constantly they would lose pressure and you had to pump them to get the pressure back mid track. It's amazing what you get used to as a student with a completely unmaintained 8 year old bike... All for the sake of ~£30 brake bleed, je suis un moron.
  • First.Aspect
    HaydenM wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Not a good idea.

Nothing like a near death experience to get the heart rate up for the beginning of a ride! :lol:

I've ridden MTBs in the past where if you didn't drag the brakes constantly they would lose pressure and you had to pump them to get the pressure back mid track. It's amazing what you get used to as a student with a completely unmaintained 8 year old bike... All for the sake of ~£30 brake bleed, je suis un moron.
    Yes, I always advise those new to cycling that a poor maintenance schedule does in fact improve your bike handling.
  • If you’re going to hang the bike vertically, hang it with the rear wheel up. I’d rather have a momentarily spongy rear brake than a front brake, personally speaking
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you’re going to hang the bike vertically, hang it with the rear wheel up. I’d rather have a momentarily spongy rear brake than a front brake, personally speaking

Think about what you just said....
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Imposter wrote:
    If you’re going to hang the bike vertically, hang it with the rear wheel up. I’d rather have a momentarily spongy rear brake than a front brake, personally speaking

He has to be taking the p1ss. :D
  • lesfirth wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Yes, at least someone gets it.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    lesfirth wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Yes, at least someone gets it.

Someone gets that you don't have a clue what you're talking about? I think we all get that.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    HaydenM wrote:

Not a good idea.

Yet another plus for disc brakes....

Remind me why makers are trying to get us onto them again ? Oh so we buy new bikes.
  • First.Aspect
    Fenix wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Not a good idea.

Remind me why makers are trying to get us onto them again ? Oh so we buy new bikes.
    Mmm. They have their advantages, but they are a lot more niggly to live with than rim brakes, that's for sure.
  • Fenix wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Not a good idea.

Mmm. They have their advantages, but they are a lot more niggly to live with than rim brakes, that's for sure.

Been on hydro disc brakes for 3 years now...maintanance has been minimal apart from changing brake pads every now and then. I don't get what problems people are having tbh. Rim brakes can be a total nightmare to line up and stop squeaking in the rain and so on...plus need adjusting as the pads wear down (hydro discs self adjust). So neither system is necessarily perfect, but one brakes better than the other ;) (not coming back to check the replies so please no disc vs rim argument - I don't care, they both work mostly!!!)
  • haydenm
    No point debating this again, as I said in the other thread that their benefits on shiny bikes only used in the dry summer are less pronounced so is definitely a reasonable decision depending on what you like, but for anything else discs are excellent.

My experience of over 10 years of discs (including the budget shimano ones on the OH's £500 hardtail) have been mostly fit and forget aside from the odd bled (due to them being sram and therefore rubbish). That's more than can be said for any cable actuated brakes I have owned, especially the silly aero ones on my silly aero bike...
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    To the OP - yes do it. You won't have any trouble with the scenario you mention, especially if you stick a pad spacer in there for peace of mind. Also as Fenix has alluded to, the whole industry looks to be going disc in order to get us all to buy new bikes, so it's my guess rim brakes will eventually go the way of the downtube shifter (but not for a good few years yet I hope!).
  • haydenm
    To the OP - yes do it. You won't have any trouble with the scenario you mention, especially if you stick a pad spacer in there for peace of mind. Also as Fenix has alluded to, the whole industry looks to be going disc in order to get us all to buy new bikes, so it's my guess rim brakes will eventually go the way of the downtube shifter (but not for a good few years yet I hope!).

Interesting, even as a disc advocate I could imagine the UCI lowering or removing the weight limit and the benefits of discs being negated by the weight penalty. I'm still not 100% convinced we will see them used by every pro and that has a big impact on the consumer market. I'd go disc for everything if I had the choice, but then my 'summer best' bike is for a Scottish summer...
  • HaydenM wrote:

Interesting, even as a disc advocate I could imagine the UCI lowering or removing the weight limit and the benefits of discs being negated by the weight penalty. I'm still not 100% convinced we will see them used by every pro and that has a big impact on the consumer market. I'd go disc for everything if I had the choice, but then my 'summer best' bike is for a Scottish summer...
    I still hate disc brakes on road bikes, I can’t think of one single advantage over rim brakes, that isn’t outweighed by the disadvantages.
  • haydenm
    HaydenM wrote:

I still hate disc brakes on road bikes, I can’t think of one single advantage over rim brakes, that isn’t outweighed by the disadvantages.

As I said, for summer bikes the benefits become much narrower so fair enough really.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I so nearly got sucked into the debate about disc brakes, advantages and disadvantages....Must step away from the keyboard.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    w00dster wrote:
    I so nearly got sucked into the debate about disc brakes, advantages and disadvantages....Must step away from the keyboard.

From the first post it was always going to go that way. It's like our very own version of Godwin's Law :lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • First.Aspect
    HaydenM wrote:

Where in Scotland?
  • sextoke1
    sextoke1 Posts: 133
    Thanks for all the replies, yes I have the pad spacer plan sorted. I have no problem with the rim brakes in general, but for the wet days, this pass winter has been a hard one leading to more time washing the grey s..t off the wheels than pedaling on a Sunday morning.
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    I'm not going to get involved in rim vs disc either, because I've already bought a road bike with far superior disc brakes...;-)

But, this is the second thread I've seen where members are asking about the affects of their bike upside down, on it's side etc etc. Surely a properly bled system will have no air in it to move anywhere, regardless of orientation or temperature?
  • First.Aspect
    sam anon wrote:
    I'm not going to get involved in rim vs disc either, because I've already bought a road bike with far superior disc brakes...;-)

But, this is the second thread I've seen where members are asking about the affects of their bike upside down, on it's side etc etc. Surely a properly bled system will have no air in it to move anywhere, regardless of orientation or temperature?
    There is always a bit of air. Otherwise why would you ever need to bleed them more than once? But no, I've never noticed any orientation related effects. If there are any surely they would fix themselves when you ride the bike the right way up. I put it somewhere in the contaminated pads pile of techno b0llocks that stoner mountain bikers come up with in their spare time.