How to tighten Aeroad headset?

CRAIGO5000
CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
edited October 2018 in Workshop
I’ve a non-aero cockpit Aeroad and finding it impossible to set the preload of the headset?
There doesn’t seem to be a pre-load nut like on the aero cockpit version even though I’ve been supplied an adjustment hex tool. It’s a standard looking topcap headset but the top cap is simply a plastic cap. (Which was also supplied cracked - awaiting replacement).

I’ve ridden around 100 miles on the bike now and can feel the headset rattling over rough tarmac. I want to drop the stem by a few spacers too so thought I’d tackle the preload aswell but I can’t seem to find a way to do it!? *oops!*
Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    you need a lbs
  • It appears not.

The proper way is to apparently treat it like any other threadless headset and tread carefully because it’s all plastic until the stem clamp bolts are locked up. Attention needed to the plastic shroud surrounding the super-thin ‘probe to sheer’aluminium threaded bolt.

The issue here is that Canyon supply a manual with over a thousand pages containing instructions in every language and steps for every type of headset across all their bike ranges with little information on this particular headset and the care required to set pre-load properly.

A LBS would likely do away with the assembly and put a standard star-fangled lock nut and cap in and have done with it.

Thanks
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    If you think your local shop would put a star nut in a carbon steerer I suggest you find a new local bike shop.
  • My bad. I meant a proper compression wedge thingy that allows a standard top cap and nut to fit.

Whatever the techy term - it’s a better solution but adds an extra gram.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    also you may need a spacer.

Its very difficult to tell most of this stuff without a picture
  • Make especially sure that the expander plug is sat in the steerer at the point where the stem clamps it, and tighten it up to about 6N.m. to ensure it doesn’t move out of position as you pre load using the top cap. There should be a ring / washer that sits in the top headset bearing, make sure that it’s in good condition.
  • Make especially sure that the expander plug is sat in the steerer at the point where the stem clamps it, and tighten it up to about 6N.m. to ensure it doesn’t move out of position as you pre load using the top cap. There should be a ring / washer that sits in the top headset bearing, make sure that it’s in good condition.

You’d think that but this isn’t how Canyon supply them. Mine was delivered like in this video at around 2 mins in...

https://youtu.be/l2PMfPiy90E

Also, if I did move the expansion plug up to the stem clamp area, the black sleeve would prevent the top cap from screwing down (see chewed up plastic sleeve in that vid above!)

Perhaps Canyon believe it’s strong enough to simply have the expander plug buried right down inside the steerer.