Is there a direct comparison betwern Edge 520 and Bolt?

Darius_Jedburgh
Darius_Jedburgh Posts: 675
edited October 2018 in Road general
I've done a search and played with Mr Google but haven't managed to find direct real world - as opposed to marketing blurb - comparison between the two.

Specifically I'm interested in two main areas. Connectivity with phone or domestic Wi-Fi for uploading post ride data especially to Strava. And turn by turn routing. I create my routes in OS software and have GPX files saved. Can these be easily transferred to either unit and then can I have turn by turn instructions?

Apologies is this has been asked/answered...please point me in the right direction

Comments

• davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Was reading something similar on the DC Rainmaker site - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/win ... tions.html

Scroll down (a long way!) and he covers it, I think. If you then search his site for one or the other review, he normally references most rivals.

I think the Garmin was better for navigation
  • Thanks. A lot of info on there. I've only skimmed through it but I read it that the Bolt was better for navigation!!!
    He doesn't mention importing GPX files to use.

Suppose I really need to find a retailer with both and who will give unbiased advice. That won't be easy.
  • I've not used a 520 but I thought it was only capable of breadcrumb trail navigation. I think the 520 PLUS can do turn by turn. Someone will no doubt correct me on this.

As for the Bolt, you can click on a GPX file on your phone, either a GPX file from an email or the web page of a sportive event whilst you are standing at the side of the road and it will send it to the Bolt and give you breadcrumb trail navigation.

To get full turn-by-turn navigation, the sort that will interrupt a data page to tell you you need to make a turn you have to create the route on RidewithGPS or Komoot, then sync this route to the Bolt via your phone or WiFi. (you do not need a paid for RWGPS account, a free account will do just fine).

As far as syncing with Strava the Bolt works perfectly. I normally get an alert on my phone that my ride has uploaded to Strava before I've even opened my garage door.
  • Thank you. Very interesting.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,892
    I have not used a Bolt but for the 520, it syncs with your phone and automatically sends a ride to Strava when you save it.
    Create a route on the Garmin website, send it to the 520 and you get turn by turn. You also get a map as long as you are not on unrecognised minor single track roads.

I think both have similar functionality and interface and price will probably be the decider.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Thank you all. Inormallycreate a Route using the somewhat old OS Memory Map software. I have been using my hillwalking Garmin etrex on the bike with the routes I have created. This gives excellent turn by turn instructions with warning of impending turns in advance.
    Now that is getting long in the tooth, I'm doing more on the bike and my bike computer - an IGPSport - constantly refuses to work after a software upgrade it's time to look at alternatives.

Hence my questions.
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    Thank you all. Inormallycreate a Route using the somewhat old OS Memory Map software. I have been using my hillwalking Garmin etrex on the bike with the routes I have created. This gives excellent turn by turn instructions with warning of impending turns in advance.
    Now that is getting long in the tooth, I'm doing more on the bike and my bike computer - an IGPSport - constantly refuses to work after a software upgrade it's time to look at alternatives.

Hence my questions.

Hi. It's not the 520 but this YouTube video gives a very good comparison of the bolt vs the 820.

If you skip to 5 minutes it gives you a very good look at the navigation functions of the bolt.

https://youtu.be/R1DxvR2J7YQ
  • Thank you. Interesting video, and I like that display.
    Another thought has occurred to me this morning...I mostly ride roads that I know and don't really need to follow a route. Even if I go off my original planned route, I'm never really lost - just taking a variation. I "could" still use the eTrex on a handlebar mount for navigation when I am away from home. All I really need when local is a means of recording my data for the ride. It has been suggested that the Edge 25 may be sufficient for my day to day needs.

So many options!!!
  • pblakeney
    It has been suggested that the Edge 25 may be sufficient for my day to day needs.

So many options!!!
    The reason I sold my 25 on was that the heart rate monitor was only available on it's own screen.
    Useless for me as on a climb I want to see cadence and heart rate. That may have changed over the past 2 years.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    It has been suggested that the Edge 25 may be sufficient for my day to day needs.

So many options!!!
    The reason I sold my 25 on was that the heart rate monitor was only available on it's own screen.
    Useless for me as on a climb I want to see cadence and heart rate. That may have changed over the past 2 years.
    Is that all you didn't like about it? I don't use HRM or cadence so if it recorded accurately and uploaded efficiently to Strava I could manage day to day stuff then use the eTrex on the odd away day.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I too am keen to understand the differences between the 520, 520 plus, Elemnt and Elemnt Bolt because we're considering one as a present for our eldest. He likes the mapping on my old Touring Plus, but he's also a Strava nut and would really want something that communicates wirelessly / automatically.

Up to now he's used Strava directly by mounting his smart-phone in a case on the bars, but it was like a tea-tray and the case has finally broken.

If I find a spare hour I'll wade through the DC Rainmaker stuff and watch some Youtube vids. We're off round his for Sunday lunch on, err, Sunday so I can try to drop GPS gadgets in to the conversation to see if he's still keen...
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    The 520 does turn by turn navigation. I used it every day whilst in France earlier this year, there’s an option in the menu to turn on ‘turn prompts’.
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:

So many options!!!
    Is that all you didn't like about it? I don't use HRM or cadence so if it recorded accurately and uploaded efficiently to Strava I could manage day to day stuff then use the eTrex on the odd away day.
    Pretty much.
    If you just want a basic bike computer then it fits the bill.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    NorvernRob wrote:
    The 520 does turn by turn navigation. I used it every day whilst in France earlier this year, there’s an option in the menu to turn on ‘turn prompts’.
    The Elemnt/Bolt also does turn by turn.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    keef66 wrote:
    I too am keen to understand the differences between the 520, 520 plus, Elemnt and Elemnt Bolt because we're considering one as a present for our eldest. He likes the mapping on my old Touring Plus, but he's also a Strava nut and would really want something that communicates wirelessly / automatically.

Up to now he's used Strava directly by mounting his smart-phone in a case on the bars, but it was like a tea-tray and the case has finally broken.

If I find a spare hour I'll wade through the DC Rainmaker stuff and watch some Youtube vids. We're off round his for Sunday lunch on, err, Sunday so I can try to drop GPS gadgets in to the conversation to see if he's still keen...

The differences between the ELEMNT and the ELEMNT Bolt are simple. The ELEMNT has a larger screen size and additional LEDs and other than the aero shape of the Bolt, that is it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    NorvernRob wrote:
    NovernRob - could you say where the option to turn on 'turn prompts' exists in the 520 menu? What kind of route files do you use (I wonder if the option only appears if a certain type of file is used)?

Would be really useful to know this as I was considering upgrading from my 520 to the 520 PLUS primarily to get that feature.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • pblakeney
    Luv2ride wrote:
    NovernRob - could you say where the option to turn on 'turn prompts' exists in the 520 menu? What kind of route files do you use (I wonder if the option only appears if a certain type of file is used)?
    RTFM. :lol:
    Page 3.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • norvernrob
    Luv2ride wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:

Would be really useful to know this as I was considering upgrading from my 520 to the 520 PLUS primarily to get that feature.

If you go to training—courses, choose a course and load it, then—settings—course points ON, then you’ll get not only turn prompts, but the distance to each turn and the direction you’re turning can be displayed as a data field. You need to use .tcx files to be able to use course points.

If you use gpx files, then training—courses—course options—turn guidance ON works in some cases but it’s hit and miss, sometimes it just says ‘head northwest’ or whatever, so if you’re using a tcx file then you can turn guidance off and just use course points.

The main difference between the 520 and the 520 plus is that the plus has full maps which enable on-the-fly navigation, but the 520 does turn by turn on a preset route perfectly well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-FQZUUKOFD0
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    ^NovernRob - thanks for the detailed response. I don't tend to use the training tools but will create and download some routes and experiment. Would be ace if I could get this working.

Downloaded open source maps of Mallorca before a trip out there last week. Sizewise looked as if I could download the two map tiles I needed for tbe island alongside my home county, followed the "how to" guide from DC Rainmaker to letter. All seemed to download ok, but when i fired up my 520 in Puerto Pollensa i just had a blank screen :( . Another reason for contemplating the 520 PLUS, as think it has better base maps but will try the turn by turn on mine first.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • norvernrob
    Luv2ride wrote:
    ^NovernRob - thanks for the detailed response. I don't tend to use the training tools but will create and download some routes and experiment. Would be ace if I could get this working.

Downloaded open source maps of Mallorca before a trip out there last week. Sizewise looked as if I could download the two map tiles I needed for tbe island alongside my home county, followed the "how to" guide from DC Rainmaker to letter. All seemed to download ok, but when i fired up my 520 in Puerto Pollensa i just had a blank screen :( . Another reason for contemplating the 520 PLUS, as think it has better base maps but will try the turn by turn on mine first.

I’ve downloaded open source maps for both the Annecy and Bourg d’oisans areas this year and it’s worked perfectly both times, I just followed DC Rainmaker’s guide to doing it. :D
  • pblakeney
    Why not try using Garmin Connect to create the routes? It adds the required maps without any further input required. Too simple?
    Veronese68 wrote: