Tacx Neo - setup for new user

racoonbilly
racoonbilly Posts: 20
Evening

Apologies if this has been answered before but I couldn’t find the answers

I have ordered a Tacx Neo and intend to use it with my 5th gen iPad on a handlebar mount

Some questions

1. Having purchased a cassette, mat, sweat cover etc I would prefer not to have to buy an ANT+ sensor as it looks expensive for an iPad by the time I have also purchased the adapter, I was planning to run the neo via Bluetooth but I have a Garmin hrm and assume it requires ANT+ - do I have to buy a Bluetooth hrm or just suck it up and buy the iPad ANT+ and the adaptor?

2. Does anyone know if a 2015 synapse carbon disc will fit, Tacx site mentions disc breaks require the separate q/r adaptor, yet the list of comparable bikes says it will fit

Thanks for your help

Comments

• joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Evening

Apologies if this has been answered before but I couldn’t find the answers

I have ordered a Tacx Neo and intend to use it with my 5th gen iPad on a handlebar mount

Some questions

1. Having purchased a cassette, mat, sweat cover etc I would prefer not to have to buy an ANT+ sensor as it looks expensive for an iPad by the time I have also purchased the adapter, I was planning to run the neo via Bluetooth but I have a Garmin hrm and assume it requires ANT+ - do I have to buy a Bluetooth hrm or just suck it up and buy the iPad ANT+ and the adaptor?

2. Does anyone know if a 2015 synapse carbon disc will fit, Tacx site mentions disc breaks require the separate q/r adaptor, yet the list of comparable bikes says it will fit

Thanks for your help

I think Tacx did a print out of the Neo to test bike compatibility/fitting.

I believe the Ipad should connect via bluetooth to the Neo so no expensive ANT+ stuff, I could be wrong but I'd try that first.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    I would go with a bluetooth heart rate monitor to complete your setup.

Having used the Wahoo ANT key plus a lightning adapter on my iPad Pro I can tell you it was a pain.
    Since iOS11 it has become very unstable and won't connect most times, plus the added hassle of adding connectors in every time you want to train was a bit of a faff.

I always think that the more straightforward something is (especially when it comes to indoor training), the more likely you are to use it and continue to use it.

The ANT key and adapter was also very expensive - i'm sure you could pick up a bluetooth HR monitor for less which makes it a no brainer.
    I got a Wahoo Tickr which works over bluetooth or ANT and it has been excellent.

Best of luck with the Neo.
  • Thanks for the replies - very much appreciated

I picked up the neo tonight from Halfords, cost me £854 with BC membership 10% off and as I purchased the cheapest kids bike and the Neo counted as an accessory it was another 10% off, thanks to the guys working in bike section for suggesting the kids bike deal

The kids bike will be donated to a family locally as a good bit of karma

Wahoo Tickr ordered tonight

Cheers
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Thanks for the replies - very much appreciated

I picked up the neo tonight from Halfords, cost me £854 with BC membership 10% off and as I purchased the cheapest kids bike and the Neo counted as an accessory it was another 10% off, thanks to the guys working in bike section for suggesting the kids bike deal

The kids bike will be donated to a family locally as a good bit of karma

Wahoo Tickr ordered tonight

Cheers

Chapeau on the bike donation. Great gesture.
  • My much anticipated first ride on the Neo was a bust this weekend :(

Brand new cassette has been installed, Tacx app downloaded and firmware checked for updates

I have also fitted the T2805.06 spacer as the synapse disc 2015 is supposed to be 135mm, when installing the bike on to the neo and tightening the QR skewer the seat stays visibly moved i.e. where pushed inwards so I have undone everything.

I have spent a fair while googling but cannot get confirmation on what is the correct skewer/adaptor required for the synapse, I’m thinking I might require this but not 100%:

T2840 (135x10mm) see here for the .pdf:

https://tacx.com/wp-content/uploads/201 ... 216_EN.pdf

I’ve also googled for confirmation of the drop out width being 10mm on the synapse but unbelievably I cannot find it - I’m assuming the dropout width is what the 10mm refers too

I do all my own maintenance on my bike so consider myself fairly handy but this is proving to be a challenge I’d prefer not to spend the £40 on the QR adaptor kit if it’s not 100% the correct one

I’ve emailed Tacx but no idea if their support is any good so thought i would reach out on here

Thanks in advance for any help
  • I’ve now sorted the issue with setting up my Synpase Carbon disc 2015 to my Tacx Neo,

Here is what I posted on the Neo Facebook group, I hope it helps someone in the same situation in the future:

I did a search on here and someone mentioned the Tacx front wheel riser can hinder the drop outs fitting correctly, once out of the way and with a bit of a wiggle the drop outs fitted on correctly, when tightening the QR the stays did not flex like they did on Sunday. Drop outs appear to be 135mm so the T2805.06 spacer is required for a 2015 synapse carbon Ultegra disc

I do not appear to require any other adaptor kit, just the standard QR supplied in the box with the above mentioned 5mm spacer

I will give it a rest ride ASAP and report back