How much of a difference does tyre weight make

Ben_.
Ben_. Posts: 16
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
On my commuting bike I've currently running Schwalbe Marathon Plus 25 mm tyres. They are noticeably heavier than any other tyres I own (but of course the puncture protection is a lot better).

However, I've now changed jobs and moved house - so my commute is quite a bit longer. Therefore I'm looking at helping myself out a bit by trying to reduce the wheel weight by going for lighter tyres. As this bike is used for commuting puncture protection is still desired - so I'm looking at Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres.

The Marathon Plus' come in at 898 g per tyre and the Durano Plus' at 400 g per tyre. That's a 498 g difference per tyre or 996 g (nearly a kilo) overall. I've read quite a bit of conflicting stuff on whether rotational weight does or doesn't make a difference. I get that on a flat road at a constant speed, once the wheels are up to speed the difference is negligible, but of course the roads aren't flat and I don’t; cycle at a constant speed.

So how much of a difference will changing tyres make? Is there a calculator online?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That weight will make a significant difference.

You have to accelerate the tyres, and as all the weight is well away from the hub, it' requires a significant amount of energy.

I have wide, knobbly 29er mountain bike tyres that weigh a lot less than those Schwalbe.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    You can use this to calculate the difference: http://bikecalculator.com/
    Rolling resistance also plays a factor, so if the lighter tire has a faster compound too, it will add up more.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I think the biggest difference is actually in rolling resistance from stiff vs supple tyres. Heavier tyres will tend to be stiffer and suppler tyres will tend to be lighter.

In fact, I'd go as far as saying that weight in and of itself is one of the least useful indicators of tyre performance.

Have a read of this:

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/05/ ... isnt-easy/
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Tyres weighing nearly 2 kilo's, jeez. Get rid of those! Any other will be better.
  • I used both (around 5 or 6 years ago now) and there will be a very noticeable difference. As you know people do argue a lot about rotational weight and if it makes any difference or not. Whatever, just make the switch and enjoy your ride a lot more!!
  • How far is your commute?
    I used marathon plus when commuting for the confidence they wouldnt puncture.puncturing on the way into work and getting in late isnt worth saving a minute or so on the commute.
    That was for a lumpy urban 10mile each way commute.
    Ps.saving 1kg with a rucksack of clothes/lunch/lock on your back just seems pointless
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I love my marathon plus for the winter bike. Sure they are a bit harder work than my gp4000s in the summer but it's worth it because they never let me down.

Train hard. Race easy !
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    durano's would do the job. they are easier to mount etc and roll far better. offer decent puncture protection as well.