First endurance road bike

rmenghe
rmenghe Posts: 3
edited October 2018 in Road beginners
Hello everyone, I would like to have some help on buying my FIRST road bike. I have been practicing MTB for 15 years but now I would like to integrate with road rides.
My requirements are:
• comfortable road bike: my choice is therefore of endurance bike.
• Budget: 2.000€
• Brakes: disc
I selected these 2019 road bikes models, sorted by my preference:
1. GIANT DEFY ADVANCED 1 HRD 2019 - the most economical and comes with the new frame
2. SCOTT ADDICT 10 DISC 2019 - cheap but the delivery forecast is February 2019!
3. CANNONDALE SYNAPSE CARBON ULTEGRA DISC 2019 - the most expensive, over my budget
4. CANYON ENDURACE CF SL DISC 8.0 2019 - almost expensive as Synapse and since it is my first road bike I would prefer someone who support me to set it carefully.
Any opinions/suggestions (please...) ?

Comments

• Hi, I am currently shopping around too for a road bike upgrade as moved across from MTB 3 years ago. I would strongly advise taking them out for test rides so you get a feel for the different geometries etc... and what you want from a bike i.e. comfort, speed etc... If you have an Evans Cycle close they offer free demo with £50 refundable deposit and Giant offer free test rides too. Also worth checking frame warranty between brands as they vary a lot.
    If it helps I have demo this summer
    Giant Defy - Fantastic bike, value for money, comfortable and quick. Great backup support.
    Scott Addict 30 Disc - Best fit for me, very comfortable a little slow but probably changing tyres from 32c to 28c will improve.
    BMC RoadMachine three 2 105 - Very quick bike but found the geometry too aggressive (saddle to bar drop too much) and I want a more comfortable ride then I have now. Very expensive for what it is, looks like a copy of the defy.
    Synapse 105 Carbon - Lined up later in the month
    Focus Paralane 9.7 - waiting for them to come in stock to ride.

Another thought is if its your first road bike why not go 2nd hand like I did then you can 1. see how much you actually like it and use it and 2. you will be more prepared as to what you want from a road bike when you go shopping. You will probably find your body takes a while to adjust but integrating road cycling you will find a massive improvement on the MTB ride when climbing, fitness etc... that is what I found.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Paul
  • If you’re on a budget, this looks superb

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-5 ... type=opeco
  • I looked at this from a similar but slightly different perspective. I have been riding my CX bike for about 18 months or so and enjoyed the extended road sections in my rides and decided to look for a bike that could be considered as an endurance bike and could also handle some light trail, gravel and forest tracks a bit of an odd combo really but to put it in simple terms i'd like next summer to ride up Ventoux from Sault and descend on the gravel trails, simple really :D:D:D

After a lot of looking, test rides and research i plumped for a Cervélo C3 (2018). I can't say if the C3 would be for you but it ticked most of my boxes and i've been happy with my decision. It can take up to 32mm tyres although i've squeezed on some 35mm and still have a good enough clearance either side, useful to be able to do as the roads will soon be wet and the mud will be calling.

Worth adding to your list and you may find a 2018 mechanical Ultegra that just comes into budget (OK maybe slightly over...)

Good luck with the search
  • Thanks Ridgeway Swiss but Cervelo is over the budget: 3,000€.
    I just order the GIANT DEFY ADVANCED 1 HRD 2019, tried and found the best fit.
    thanks to all
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    You wont go far wrong with a Giant or Trek luv them both.