Multiple Tyres

joey54321
joey54321 Posts: 1,297
edited October 2018 in Cyclocross
Firstly, sorry, I know the sort of passionate arguments that talking about tyres can lead to but I need some advice. I've ridden the last 2 seasons on 'all round' Schwalbe X-Ones but i've managed to acquire two sets of wheels for this season. What would people recommend for running two different sets of tyres throughout the season?

Thanks!

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    use the appropriate tyre for the course/conditions?
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Set of intermediates and set of muds.
  • joey54321
    Slowbike wrote:

Yes, this is my question.
    trek_dan wrote:

So something like the X-Ones on one set and the X-One Bites on the other set?
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    joey54321 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Yes, this is my question.
    trek_dan wrote:

I use Griffo as inters and Limus for mud.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I use Michelin Mud2s as ... err .. intermediates, and Clement (now Donnelly) PDX for mud.

If it is there are just a few claggy areas or if it is just off cambers, and I want a bit more shoulder grip, then I might have the mud on the front and intermediate on the back.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    joey54321 wrote:
    Yep, that would be a reasonably combo.

Do some training on the "wrong" tyre for the conditions; that'll help you learn what works where, and how far you can push (for instance) an intermediate tyre in muddy conditions. As Chris says above, consider mixing tyres. For obvious reasons you generally want the grippier one on the front. If the course has slippery power climbs, grip on the back is more of a priority.

If there's an opportunity, chuck on the other set of tyres after your race, and do another lap. Aswell as being a good warm-down, you can get a feel for what they'd have been like; it's often surprising how well an intermediate tyre can cope with mud.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • joey54321
    TGOTB wrote:
    joey54321 wrote:
    Yep, that would be a reasonably combo.

Do some training on the "wrong" tyre for the conditions; that'll help you learn what works where, and how far you can push (for instance) an intermediate tyre in muddy conditions. As Chris says above, consider mixing tyres. For obvious reasons you generally want the grippier one on the front. If the course has slippery power climbs, grip on the back is more of a priority.

If there's an opportunity, chuck on the other set of tyres after your race, and do another lap. Aswell as being a good warm-down, you can get a feel for what they'd have been like; it's often surprising how well an intermediate tyre can cope with mud.

Thanks for the advice! All sounds good and like there is a bit of a learning curve to it. I've found the Bites at £35/tyre for the TLE version which feels pretty good.
  • joey54321 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice! All sounds good and like there is a bit of a learning curve to it. I've found the Bites at £35/tyre for the TLE version which feels pretty good.

Not Planet X is it?

They are selling non-tubeless versions as tubeless. Were happy to refund me but have not amended the listing despite repeated emails.

The ones they sent to me were definitely not the tubeless versions (I've used them previously and really like them).

Best value/performance tubeless in my experience is the Vittorias Terrenos - all three versions are good and seem to be easy to seat and seal.
  • joey54321
    211dave112 wrote:
    joey54321 wrote:

Not Planet X is it?

They are selling non-tubeless versions as tubeless. Were happy to refund me but have not amended the listing despite repeated emails.

The ones they sent to me were definitely not the tubeless versions (I've used them previously and really like them).

Best value/performance tubeless in my experience is the Vittorias Terrenos - all three versions are good and seem to be easy to seat and seal.

Yes, it was, those cheeky twirps! I wonder if they know? Back to the Vittorias.
  • joey54321 wrote:
    211dave112 wrote:
    joey54321 wrote:

Not Planet X is it?

Yes, it was, those cheeky twirps! I wonder if they know? Back to the Vittorias.

They know, they just don't appear to care...(though I've had plenty of good stuff from them in the past so could be a one-off)

"Were happy to refund me but have not amended the listing despite repeated emails."