Mavic tubeless rim issue?

bobbydigital
bobbydigital Posts: 254
edited October 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought a brand new Mavic crossmax rim and noticed the inside of the rim is smooth? There is no hook to grab the bead, is this normal, manufacturing fault?

My test tubeless tyre went up straight away without sealant, using a track pump, I am guessing the Psi would stop the tyre spinning on the rim but not encountered this system before, new to the tubeless world.

Just seems unconventional to what I'm used to with rims.

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    My grandson's old bike had rims like that. They went up tubeless just fine.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It's called hookless.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    There's an explanation in THIS ARTICLE. It covers carbon rims but the same principles apply to alloy rims.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • All is well then,

it works really well as there was no air leakage when inflating the tubeless tyre, I could pretty much use the track pump with the valve core still inserted and pump very slowly and it would just inflate like a tubed tyre.
  • steve_sordy
    All is well then,

it works really well as there was no air leakage when inflating the tubeless tyre, I could pretty much use the track pump with the valve core still inserted and pump very slowly and it would just inflate like a tubed tyre.

Not from scratch you can't, well I'd be astonished if you could! :shock:

But if you meant once the beads have engaged on the rim andto just increase the pressure, then yes. :)

• Not from scratch you can't, well I'd be astonished if you could! :shock:

Yes it was from scratch, even with what seemed like obvious gaps at the sides it pumped up fine, within 3 strikes of the pump the tyre had filled out to about 10 psi and after that it started to pop in to place around 30 psi.

It went down shortly after though, I could feel air leaking around the valve location and turns out the Mavic UST tape had a hole in it and all the pressure would travel though the inner rim and breach at the valve hole, Gorilla taped it.
  • steve_sordy
    I am duly astonished! :shock:

Now don't go getting the idea that this going tubeless malarkey will always be as easy as that!

It's supposed to be 'effin hard, otherwise where is the mystery? :lol:
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I am duly astonished! :shock:

Now don't go getting the idea that this going tubeless malarkey will always be as easy as that!

It's supposed to be 'effin hard, otherwise where is the mystery? :lol:

Lol I’ve been lucky with tubeless went on fine first time.

I was using a mavic ust wheel and maxxis tyre though.

Dry fitting schwalbe or continental tyres a no go though couldn’t get it on even with tyre levers.