Bike computer

yiannism
yiannism Posts: 345
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
I have for the last 2-3 years the Garmin 500, its still working fine other some occasional problems to connect it with my PC but there is nothing that you cant fix with the WD40. Still i miss the connectivity with the phone, and i want to buy a new one.

The choices
1)Elemnt Bolt
2)Garmin 520+
3)ELEMNT
4)The older 520

My 1st question, is if the garmin sensors can work with the elemnts, and which one would you you suggest and why?

P.S. I dont have power meter and its not on my plans to buy one soon. Navigation is good to have but not essential

Comments

• Well if you're not planning on using a power meter or rely on the navigation, then either the Elemnt Bolt or original 520 will do the job admirably and save you a few pennies over the other two options.

Both the Bolt and 520 are great devices, choice comes down to which interface you prefer!
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    YiannisM wrote:
    My 1st question, is if the garmin sensors can work with the elemnts,
    Yes they can as Garmin and Wahoo devices can use ANT+ sensors. This is the point of standard communication protocols, devices that support them are manufacturer agnostic..
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,638
    520 works fine with power meter.
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    Gethinceri wrote:
    520 works fine with power meter.

As does the elemnt bolt
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Out of that list then the Bolt. I had the 520 with plenty of issues. (not the 520 plus).
    But as you’re requirements are pretty standard, mapping being low on your priorities, then I’d have a look at cheaper options.
    I use a Bolt on the road, works well. The issue I have with it is the lack of mounts, I have an aero bar so I have a 3D printed mount, but not one that also fits lights under it in the go-pro mount. Probably not be an issue for you.
    Off road / winter road bike I use a Lezyne super enhanced gps, works really well and is cheap. Also the Bolt Mini might meet your needs?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Well if you're not planning on using a power meter or rely on the navigation, then either the Elemnt Bolt or original 520 will do the job admirably and save you a few pennies over the other two options.

Both the Bolt and 520 are great devices, choice comes down to which interface you prefer!

Eh? The Wahoo devices and the 520s support power meter connection. The Wahoo devices also do mapping.

Personally, I went for the ELEMNT for the larger screen size and additional LEDs.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.