What length valves for 50mm rims?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi all. What length valves do you guys use with 50mm rims? I've previously used non-threaded 80mm Conti tubes with 25mm tyres, but I can't seem to find the same length valve in a 28-32mm width. Would 60mm valves work, as can find them in the right width? Or could I get away with using using 80mm valve 25mm tubes with a 28-30mm tyre?

At this rate I might go straight to tubeless on the new wheels but hadnt banked on buying new tyres as well, as happy with my 28mm Conti gp4000ii's...
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• requiem
    requiem Posts: 57
    I have 50mm depth rims and use 60mm valved inner tubes, with no issue
  • luv2ride
    requiem wrote:
    I have 50mm depth rims and use 60mm valved inner tubes, with no issue
    Cheers, 60mm valves it is then :)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Stating the obvious but make sure your mini pump or CO2 thingy fits before going out. I used to use 50mm tubes/valves with 40mm rims and my mini pump doesn't work great with such a small amount of valve to grip - especially when you start the pumping process....
    I run 60mm valve, 23-25mm width with 32mm tyres on my winter bike. Only about 55psi, not had any issues in 2 years.....
    As an aside those 80mm non threaded tubes are a bit of a pain with my CO2 end bit, doesn't get a good seal. Best to find out before you ride on them.
  • luv2ride
    w00dster wrote:
    Stating the obvious but make sure your mini pump or CO2 thingy fits before going out. I used to use 50mm tubes/valves with 40mm rims and my mini pump doesn't work great with such a small amount of valve to grip - especially when you start the pumping process....
    I run 60mm valve, 23-25mm width with 32mm tyres on my winter bike. Only about 55psi, not had any issues in 2 years.....
    As an aside those 80mm non threaded tubes are a bit of a pain with my CO2 end bit, doesn't get a good seal. Best to find out before you ride on them.
    Good point. Another tip learnt the hard way was that my Lezyne Pressure Drive minipump loves unscrewing tubeless removable cores after you've pumped up the tyre. Not fun when out at zero degrees :roll: . Now make sure theyre tightened up before i go out, oh, and bought a Lezyne press-on valve just in case.
  • Give it a minute to cool down after pumping so the valve core doesn't bind to the hose.
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    Get some 30mm valve extenders to put the air in and just remover when the tyres are pumped up then remove the extender. Its takes about 30 seconds to put the extenders on and and take off the bike?
  • And tighten the cores on any 2 piece valves with a spoke key before you attatch any screw on CO2 inflators or pump heads. Personally, I tend to avoid any issues by using a press on spring valved type inflator where possible.
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Been there, done that, just get 80mm.