Rear Derailleur/ Shifter problem

Dannysgbb
Dannysgbb Posts: 15
edited October 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Me and my friend went mountain on Friday and he started fiddling with the plastic screw thing on my my shimano deore shifters now in low gears i hear this this ticking type sound against my spokes. How do i fix this ???
All help will be appreciated :)

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Why did you let her/him? What was he/she trying to achieve?

Your description is a bit vague, do you mean the barrel adjuster,?.

What part of the rear mech is making contact with the spokes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sort it out quickly or your mech will tangle with the spokes and wreck stuff.

If he fiddled with the barrel adjuster and something is hitting the spokes, you need to adjust the low limit screw.

But first check it isn't just the end of the cable.

And don't let spazwangles fiddle with your bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You're not having much luck with that bike are you, Dannysgbb.

Have a look on the Parktools website (link handily in cooldad's sig) and learn how to set things up yourself. There are hundreds of 'how to' videos on YouTube that will help and educate you as well.
    Allowing mates to 'fiddle' with your bike will invariably lead to trouble.

You haven't had the bike long. Has it been back to the bike shop for the free 6-week check that most shops offer? If not, now might be a good time to get it looked at and everything adjusted/set up correctly.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad wrote:
    Sort it out quickly or your mech will tangle with the spokes and wreck stuff.

If he fiddled with the barrel adjuster and something is hitting the spokes, you need to adjust the low limit screw.

But first check it isn't just the end of the cable.

And don't let spazwangles fiddle with your bike.
    I think it might be the end cable. what do i do ?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If it is just the end of the cable then bend it out of the way.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Turn the little screw with L printed by it on the rear mech clockwise, until you don’t hear the noise anymore. It sounds like it’s not been set properly, and your rear mech is able to get too close to the spokes
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't do this ^^^^^^.
    If it's just the end of the cable, as JBA said just bend it.

If the limit screws need adjusting, do it properly. Detach the cable, remove the chain, set high and low limits by eye, reattach cable and fine tune with the barrel adjuster.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools