New Rider; Tire Question?

JLVox
JLVox Posts: 8
edited October 2018 in Road beginners
Hello Everyone,

Brand new to cycling and just picked up a 2017 diverge expert and would like to upgrade the avix 4.0's to a carbon wheel set. looking into either the enve's or zipp 303's. I want to stay close to my current set-up as I am now running the stock 32mm roubaix pro tyres. My question is if I decide to go Enve, will the 3.4's take a 32mm tyre? If so should I be looking at the 3rd gen 3.4's?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,044
    enve recommend 25mm tyres on 3.4, the rim isn't especially deep but should have some aerodynamic advantage vs. a shallow rim

putting much fatter tyres on them will throw away whatever aerodynamic benefit there may have been from the rims, and may even degrade handling in windy conditions

SES-34.jpg
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • JLVox
    sungod wrote:
    enve recommend 25mm tyres on 3.4, the rim isn't especially deep but should have some aerodynamic advantage vs. a shallow rim

putting much fatter tyres on them will throw away whatever aerodynamic benefit there may have been from the rims, and may even degrade handling in windy conditions

SES-34.jpg

Thank you for the graph! So, If I wanted to upgrade the Axis 4.0's, but still wanted to keep the spirit of the graval/asphalt diverge, what carbon disc should I be looking into?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    That's some set up for a new rider.

What are you using the bike for ?
  • Why on earth would you put 32mm tyres on Enve 3.4 or Zipp 303 wheels?!?! :shock:

(optimum tyre for 3.4 wheelset is 25mm according to Enve)
  • JLVox
    Why on earth would you put 32mm tyres on Enve 3.4 or Zipp 303 wheels?!?! :shock:

Because I have no idea what I'm doing! Suggestions for a carbon wheelset for a 2017 Diverge Expert. I really do not want to go below a 28mm. Would like to stay somewhat utilitarian.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    JLVox wrote:
    Why on earth would you put 32mm tyres on Enve 3.4 or Zipp 303 wheels?!?! :shock:

Because I have no idea what I'm doing! Suggestions for a carbon wheelset for a 2017 Diverge Expert. I really do not want to go below a 28mm. Would like to stay somewhat utilitarian.
    Why do you need a carbon wheel set if you are wanting to stay utilitarian. Carbon wheels are designed for racing i.e. high performance.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I've just goggled the Axis 4.0 wheelset, they look pretty decent to me:

https://www.specialized.com/se/en/axis- ... a/p/118017

Seems like a waste of money to me upgrading them, especially with winter coming.
  • Hey, everyone knows that deeper carbon rims look great and if the OP wants to spend cash on that then let him/her do so. Hell, if I was a new driver and had just passed my test, I'd want the Porsche over the Polo! :)

Re tyres - 28mm for me seems to be the sweet spot but different tyres can come up at different widths depending on your choice of rim. This should cope with tarmac and light trails.

If you are planning on going off-road more often, why not keep your existing wheels and spend some cash on a set of 650b wheels? You could have a proper all rounder then.
  • JLVox
    Hey, everyone knows that deeper carbon rims look great and if the OP wants to spend cash on that then let him/her do so. Hell, if I was a new driver and had just passed my test, I'd want the Porsche over the Polo! :)

Re tyres - 28mm for me seems to be the sweet spot but different tyres can come up at different widths depending on your choice of rim. This should cope with tarmac and light trails.

If you are planning on going off-road more often, why not keep your existing wheels and spend some cash on a set of 650b wheels? You could have a proper all rounder then.

Ok, making some sense now! So let's say I just keep my stock set-up for winter and want to get something crazy for the summer. Mostly tarmac, but still don't want to be uncomfortable riding gravel if need be. What carbon rims would be optimized for a let's say 28mm tyre? Enve/Zipp/Roval? I'll pair them with maybe a DT Swiss 240 hub, provided the "SCS" designation doesn't rear it's ugly head with a proprietary dilemma. Also what is a 650b wheel? Again, gents take all of this with a grain of salt. I am new here and just want a ferrari set-up!
  • JLVox wrote:
    I am new here and just want a ferrari set-up!

In that case, a set of Lightweight Fernwegs will do the trick! :D

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Lightweight/Fernweg-Clincher-Wheelset/1MAT

Lightweight-Fernweg-Clincher-Wheelset.jpg

You know you want to...
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Hi Middleringer, do they do those Lightweights in 650B with a 47mm tyre so it can be used offroad during the winter? :wink:

I think the OP (if isn't trolling) needs two sets of wheels. One with 23/25mm tyres, 50 to 60mm depth - faster more blingy wheels. Enve's if he feels the need. Plus a second set of wheels for more gravel type rides, can still be blingy - but can use 40 to 45mm depth and install wider tyres and accept the aero loss but the comfort and rolling resistance gains.

I use quite a few different tyres / wheel combo's depending on the riding. I've recently moved to Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless - my tubeless wheels with tubes were a nightmare to do roadside puncture repairs on. Hoping all I have to do now is insert an anchovy if I get a flat.
  • @JLVox - you can’t really go too wrong with any of those brands and then it’s just a matter of your budget. Don’t get too hung up about hubs. In fact, if you don’t want a brand name then Hunt wheels may be a good start - they’re Chinese manufacturers but with the backup of a UK based vendor. Reviews seem pretty good and the logos are subtle.

Here’s a good site that should help you choose:
    https://intheknowcycling.com

The guy who writes the reviews seems pretty well informed.

Re 650b - slightly smaller wheel that allows you to run bigger tyres. Good for off-road adventures.
  • Tyre, not tire.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited October 2018
    If you wanted a "Ferrari set-up" why did you buy the SUV of the bike world and not a sleek sporty number?
  • Tyre, not tire.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/tire-tyre/

Most non-native English speakers tend to opt for US spellings these days.

@Joe - no reason why you can't have a Diverge in a Ferrari set up. Even Aston Martin are making SUVs these days!