Brake disc rubbing

02gf74
02gf74 Posts: 1,168
edited October 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Half the posts here are about disc brakes rubbing, half are about chains skipping and the rest are some 14 year old "inventing" a new mtb device posting a survey. :roll:

Anyway, came across the article below, a new take on fixing brake disc rub.
... See here https://m.pinkbike.com/news/2-reasons-w ... -work.html

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    When I first saw this post I had visions of taking my bike into a church with paper and graphite.

Good post.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    "There are plenty of reasons why your rotor may begin rubbing against the brake pads. Maybe you completely taco’d the crap out of your wheel" So how does Tacoing the wheel cause brake rub?

"If they are excessively worn (there’s less than 2.5 millimeters of pad left), toss them and get some new ones." do you then toss the new ones with just 2.5mm of pad left?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    The Rookie wrote:
    "If they are excessively worn (there’s less than 2.5 millimeters of pad left), toss them and get some new ones." do you then toss the new ones with just 2.5mm of pad left?

In the Q&A after the video, someone explains that the 2.5mm includes the steel backing plate. Not heard of measuring it that way before, but it makes it easier I guess. But 2.5mm seems awfully thin.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thanks, no spotted that, so if the backing plate on the particular pads are 2.5mm........

Its a pretty poor article all round.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.