Importing a GPX to Strava. How do I do this?

Hello there.
Bit of a numpty question to start with.
I have a route in GPX format that I would like to import to my Strava.
I can see how to export out of Strava but not how to import.
Can this be done and if so how?
Many thanks.

Comments

• WHy do you want to import a route onto Strava? It's not what Strava is designed to do
    left the forum March 2023
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Do you mean into the route maker? I don't think you can do that.
  • I use the old Ordnance Survey Memory Map system to create my routes. I can use proper OS 1:25,000 maps and not the photo imagery stuff that Strava supply. Far more accurate and far easier to plot a route or amend one.
    But it doesn't have elevation profile. So when creating my routes I'd like to view them in Strava which does have elevation info.
    Just plotted and ridden a route that turned out to have over 7000' of climbing. Didn't find out to afterwards and might have amended it if I had known that in advance.
  • craigus89
    Just recreate it in Strava? Should only take a couple of minutes at most.
  • Use ridewith GPS or Bikehike instead... they give better elevation figures too
  • Just had a look at Bikehike. That seems to do what I want. If only the main map was OS and not the plastic Google thing it would be ideal. But I can live with it.
    Recreating in Strava is a no go. The routes I'm bothered about are far too complex to do it all twice.
    Thanks all for your help.
  • OS is proprietary.
  • craigus89
    How precise are you being to need anything more detailed than the google map?
  • Because plotting on Google Maps is PIA.
    (Un)Fortunately I was brought up with OS maps and gave the ability to plot a follow a map with a hand held compass. I can read and understand an OS map. I know that's no longer fashionable and some folk can't go anywhere without following their handheld battery powered digital gizmo, but we're all different.
    I'm not a slave to digital mapping that gives little real info and Google Maps are lacking in detail. Perhaps that's why they are free.
  • The issue is that a gpx route doesn't have any timestamps, and Strava only uploads tracks with timestamps. If you really want to do it you can use an online tool such as GoToes to add timestamps. Strava will then allow you to upload the file and even convert it into a route. You will have to delete the track though or it will appear on your activities list complete with dodgy KOMs.

Is not really worth the effort tbh. As others have said use another service - my favourite for a long time was GPSIES as it allows a lot of control over the route, but the routing tools are rather basic and it takes some time to be able to use it to its full potential. I have now moved to ride with GPS since investing in a Wahoo Bolt because of the close integration, but I do miss the fine control allowed by GPSIES. I guess that Ridewithgps would be OK if I paid for the premium version but I am a tight ass I think that it is overpriced for what is on offer.
  • There is a difference between tracks and routes. I am looking to import a route that is my planning tool, created in advance of my ride. My track is the after product of my ride and that does have time stamps.
  • Wow. That looks like just what I'm after. many thanks.
    it still only works with tracks so you will need to add timestamps.
    If the OP is wanting to do what I think, the timestamps are irrelevant.

I do this all the time - find an interesting route online in gpx format, but I want it as a Strava route so it appears on my Wahoo Bolt. So I upload it using the tool I linked to, done. It’s then automatically on my Head unit.

I do this all the time - find an interesting route online in gpx format, but I want it as a Strava route so it appears on my Wahoo Bolt. So I upload it using the tool I linked to, done. It’s then automatically on my Head unit.

Yes, I think we are on the same wavelength there.
    Used the link and it worked fine. Tried again an hour later and all I got was an error message.Tried this morning and it works again. "The camel driver has his thoughts, and the camel? He has his!"

But it does look to solve the question I was asking. Thank you.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Wow. That looks like just what I'm after. many thanks.

I simply open the GPX directly in the Wahoo ELEMNT app.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • But I don't have Wahoo!!!
  • I simply open the GPX directly in the Wahoo ELEMNT app.
    Is there a desktop version of the app? I tend to do my route planning on my laptop, rather than on a phone...
  • If the OP is wanting to do what I think, the timestamps are irrelevant.

I agree that the timestamps should be irrelevant, but I have had trouble uploading roots into Stava, I think from Audax gpx files, and I kept getting error messages until I used the tool above.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I simply open the GPX directly in the Wahoo ELEMNT app.
    Is there a desktop version of the app? I tend to do my route planning on my laptop, rather than on a phone...

In that case I simply plan directly in Strava.

If I have a GPX file (for example a route for a sportive or something) I’ll open it on my phone in the Wahoo app. If I want to plan a route from scratch I use the Strava route planner. Both ways end up with the route on my Bolt, with no multi-steps needed.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • But...as mentioned above,not everyone is a Wahoo user/owner.
    I have mailed them to ask if there is a desk top app that maybe suitable.
    We shall see what they say.
  • Thanks for getting in touch. The ELEMNT line of computers are designed to be smartphone-connected devices and we do not have a desktop version of the app. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

This is the reply regarding desktop versions of the ELEMNT app.
    Back to the drawing board.