CycliqPlus Fly 12CE & 6CE max memory card size

farrina
farrina Posts: 360
edited March 2019 in Road general
According to the manufacturer’s website the maximum size card for the above cameras are 32GB. As it is, this equates to about 90 to 120 minutes of capture.

I was wondering if any forum members have successfully experimented with larger capacities?

Thanks
Regards
Alan

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Its a battle to keep the things recording on approved cards - so I wouldn't go there TBH.
  • Where does it state a maximum of 32GB on their page?

https://cycliq.com/sdcards/

I have a gen1 Fly12 and I'm currently using a "Samsung EVO Plus Micro SDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter - 64GB" without issue.
  • farrina
    @shamrock134

I note on the link that you kindly provided, it states the Fly 12 (I assume this is Gen 1) supports up to a card of 64GB but the Fly 12 CE is shown as only up to 32GB.

Likewise the user manual for the 12 CE - see here https://support.cycliq.com/helpdesk/attachments/13041795995 at page 16 states

The Fly12 CE is compatible with microSD cards up to 32GB in size

Which infers it has not been tested above this size.

It may be that as Kingrollo suggests I should just be grateful that the 32GB works !

Regards
    Regards
    Alan
  • Ah, I missed it but see it now.

That's pretty disappointing. The CE seems to have downgraded both the battery life and the card capacity from Gen1!
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Ah, I missed it but see it now.

That's pretty disappointing. The CE seems to have downgraded both the battery life and the card capacity from Gen1!

Go for the original FLY12 - its cheaper and other than being smaller, lighter, and better audio - the original fly12 is the better light - my CE doesn't hold its charge when not in use (you can always wake it up via the app - which suggests its never off) - the brackets that come with the CE are shite and its £250 - its worth less than half that.
  • farrina
    A rather belated update on my original query (for anyone researching the question and coming across my query)

I have been successfully using a 64 GB SanDisk Extreme PLUS 64 GB microSDXC Memory Card with both a Fly6 CE and Fly12 CE.

The key seems to be formatting the SD card as FAT32. The inbuilt Windows OS formatter does not seem to recognise cards greater than 32GB so I used a third party tool called Rufus boot https://rufus.ie/ to do the job.

Both cameras are updated to the latest firmware being V1.1.26.072 (Fly6 CE) & V1.0.46.000 (Fly12 CE)
    Regards
    Alan
  • farrina
    edited October 2020
    Yet another update for anyone coming across this historic post researching card sizes ...

With the Fly6 CE moving to Gen 3 (IMHO a retrograde step) I took the opportunity to purchase a couple of the older Gen 2 models.

It is apparent that since purchasing my original Gen 2 model there have been some later Gen 2 modifications - the most obvious being a redesigned top cover flap.

Whilst I have been successfully and reliably using a 64GB card in my original Gen 2 it will NOT, despite much “tweaking” on my part reliably work with the updated Gen 2. Note firmware was identical on all models.

Bottom line if you have an updated Gen 2 it will only reliably work with a 32GB card.
    Regards
    Alan
  • I have been running a 128Gb SD card in my Fly 12 CE for over a year, but the Fly 6 gen 2 will not accept anything bigger than 32 Gb. I have recently received the latest Fly 6 Mk 3, and am please to note that it is now running a 128Gb card as well. It is a scandisk Extreme card for some reason it did not work with Scan Disk Extreme Pro 64 Gb.
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    I was running a 64GB card in my 12CE but it ended up looping on longer rides. I tried a 128GB yesterday, and now running a 256GB which seems fine formatted as exfat. I don't know why they don't certify larger cards, 2 hours of recording on a device that has 6-8 hours battery makes very little sense.