Emonda ALR5 vs CAAD12 vs TCR advanced 2

Goubi
Goubi Posts: 8
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi there, first post in here so hope i won't exhaust you out. I need your opinion to help me choose. Here in canada these 3 bikes are around 1850 and 1950 $ and i just can't choose after reading all the review. So wich one is the best band for the buck ? I would like something around 8 kg max and stiff, thrilling to ride and some comfort for long run.

Usage : I do sprint and olympic triathlon (Heading to half ironman soon) and Gran fondo. So i need something that can do both

https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/bike ... c/p/24166/

https://www.cannondale.com/en/Canada/Bi ... =undefined

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/tcr-advanced-2-disc

They are all disc, 105, with brand component. Tcr is full carbon compared to the other but CAAD12 all the review i read say it's an amazing ride but need a wheel swap while maybe not the other 2 ? I think they are all around 7,9 and 8,1 kg. Kind of all like the look.

Help me out please :P !

Oh and for the sizing of the TCR i am 5 foot 6 so right between XS and S what is better taking the smaller frame and if needed change stem or go for the bigger one ?

thanks a lot guys !

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Of those I'd have the Giant. I'm also 5'6" and looking at their sizing chart and the frame geometry I'd go for the S.

I normally have a top tube around 540mm; the XS would be way too cramped without resorting to a longer stem and a seatpost with more setback, and then the saddle to bar drop would be an issue
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    All 3 bikes come with stock wheels and a well chosen wheel swap would certainly improve all of them.

Quick question, seeing as you're mainly doing quite short sprint rides, why do you need disc brakes?
    A rim brake bike would get you a lighter machine with more bang for your buck, you'd be able to get an Ultegra equiped machine for example.
    As you're quite short and I'll assume pretty light you don't need too much in the way of braking power.
  • keef66
    That's true. I weigh bugger-all and both my bikes are rim braked, and I've no desperate need for discs. Save the weight and dollars or invest in Ultegra
  • Goubi
    Joe Totale wrote:
    All 3 bikes come with stock wheels and a well chosen wheel swap would certainly improve all of them.

Quick question, seeing as you're mainly doing quite short sprint rides, why do you need disc brakes?
    A rim brake bike would get you a lighter machine with more bang for your buck, you'd be able to get an Ultegra equiped machine for example.
    As you're quite short and I'll assume pretty light you don't need too much in the way of braking power.

Good point ! But yeah i don't have that much a a budget and i use the bike for multiple purpose. So short tri 20-40 km, gran fondo 120-160 km. The disc brake were mostly because i wanted to be able to put 28 tire because something i need to ride in gravel for like 80 km when i go up North from my town to my wooden house. So i thought better clearance more comfort and disc brake if it get wet and nasty ... Plus most bike seems to go bigger tire and i want to be as much futur proof as possible. The bike i have now seems to be a bit old on technologies and i don't feel like investing for good wheel on that bike.

Why everybody say to go for ultegra ? I have been reading that 105 is almost as good shifting now for only 300g more ? Is it that much worth the upgrade ?
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Goubi wrote:
    Why everybody say to go for ultegra ? I have been reading that 105 is almost as good shifting now for only 300g more ? Is it that much worth the upgrade ?

It's cause you asked for a bike under 8kg so I assumed that bike weight was important, hence why I suggested a rim brake, Ultegra equipped machine.

Most modern rim brake bikes will take 28mm tyres.

I'd say though that I wouldn't be keen on taking any of the three bikes you've listed on a prolonged gravel ride. TBH you're asking for 1 bike to do 2 quite different things and I'm not sure there's anything out there for that budget which will do both without some compromise.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I've got a CAAD12 and it's epic.
    To meet a budget, I'd get a 105 version. sell the std wheels and put what I have left to some new wheels - especially for Tri's since you want some aero advantage.
  • keef66
    105's as high up the Shimano tree as I've ever gone, but I understand Ultegra's slightly nicer to use and has a bit more kerb appeal. I'd just save the cash myself.

Actually I've just spotted that the Giant appears to have the outgoing 105 5800 groupset and Giant own brand brakes. The CAAD and the Trek have the new 105 R7000. Better front shifting, better levers, 105 calipers.

Can I change my mind and go for the Trek??
  • Goubi
    keef66 wrote:
    Of those I'd have the Giant. I'm also 5'6" and looking at their sizing chart and the frame geometry I'd go for the S.

I normally have a top tube around 540mm; the XS would be way too cramped without resorting to a longer stem and a seatpost with more setback, and then the saddle to bar drop would be an issue

Why the giant thought ?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    the caad 12 is a very very good bike, comfortable, fast great fun. My money would be there. the other two are good as well but lack that bit of spark. in the end chose the one you like the look of, you wont be going wrong.
  • Goubi
    Joe totale : The ride to the north is like 2 or 3 time in the summer not something i really want a bike just for that but i thoght 28 mm tyres could help.

Keef : Where did you find that 105 r5800 information i really thought it was r7000 like the others two

vino : yeah that is what i hear everywhere the caad12 is a nice feel.

How much the carbon of the tcr vs alu of the other two make a difference in confort ?
  • keef66
    Just going by the pictures on the links you posted. The Giant appears to have the older long arm front mech and chainset. Maybe they are using stock photos taken before R7000 was available. You should definitely check the exact spec before buying. The trek on the other hand appears to have a full R7000 groupset, brakes included.

Tyres and pressures will make more difference to comfort than frame material. All 3 will do what you want. Initially suggested the Giant because I liked the look of it best
  • Goubi
    I went to a LBS today that had the 3 bikes. The 54 cm giant tcr advance 2 had a weight of 8,96 kg (the guy put it on a balance) much heavier than what i thought no pedal but with the light on. The guy suggested the TCR more than the CAAD12 for long distance it would be more comfortable. Didn't talk about the emonda ALR but i could have a Emonda SL5 for the same price of the TCR 2 with rim brake.

The giant TCR come with shimano 105 r7000 it was confirmed.
  • keef66
    They are all great bikes TBH. Emonda SL5 likely the lightest, TCR maybe a tad more upright riding position for distance, CAAD a more exciting ride.

If you can sit on all 3 in the appropriate size, and if possible take a short test ride, choose the one that feels best to you, and more importantly, the one that looks the best. You shouldn't be spending that kind of money on a bike unless it causes a little stirring in the trouser department each time you see it.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    CAAD

best looking, most fun to ride, use it for everything, coolest, not a Trek.

so CAAD it is.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • clazza
    clazza Posts: 626
    I have a CAAD12 frameset (built up with Campag / Zonda's - 7.2kg) and its fantastic, great fun to ride and descends very well....feels very planted. No problems with 28 tyres

I use it for wet / shorter rides (less than 3 hrs) Its certainly not uncomfortable but I do notice the difference between it and my carbon C60...less "beaten up" on the C60 but its fine for these rides, any longer and I'll go for carbon. All in all, I highly recommend it, esp if the majority of your rides are shorter.
  • Goubi wrote:
    I went to a LBS today that had the 3 bikes. The 54 cm giant tcr advance 2 had a weight of 8,96 kg (the guy put it on a balance) much heavier than what i thought no pedal but with the light on. The guy suggested the TCR more than the CAAD12 for long distance it would be more comfortable. Didn't talk about the emonda ALR but i could have a Emonda SL5 for the same price of the TCR 2 with rim brake.

The giant TCR come with shimano 105 r7000 it was confirmed.

There’s no way a tcr in medium should weigh that amount! . The tcr is much more compliant than the caad12. I’ve owned both at the same time . But the caad12 is more fun . Best bang for buck too
    The trek emonda is a bike id like to try . Anyone got one here ?
  • Nothing wrong with 105, I have dura ace, ultegra and 105 and 105 really is a cracking groupset.

Looking at the your links and recently the canyon site which lists all the weights it really shows the additional weight of disc over rim brakes...makes that caad 9kg when it would probably be more like 8.5 with rim brakes.

What are peoples thoughts on future proofing, will manufacturers continue to drop rim brakes? If they do then you would be looking at swapping wheels and levers minimum to switch which is both very expensive and a complete pain.
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er