Replacement Front Derailleur/Mech — sizing question

jskrwyk
jskrwyk Posts: 10
edited October 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Carrera Gryphon Hybrid bike from 15 or so years ago. It had been standing for a while and after servicing and replacing cables, cassette, and other various bits I discovered the front derailleur spring seems to have given up. It shifts fine in the big and medium chainrings (when the cable tension is pulling it), but won't shift back to the smallest; the spring visibly doesn't have easy movement/tension on the last few mm's.

The problem is I'm been having a hard time finding a replacement, although it could be in part due to not fully understanding the matching set types. I'm not sure the exact model that was on the bike either as the model number has rubbed away, but it's part of the Shimano Nexave MegaDrive range but I'm not sure the exact model. It's a 3 speed front, 8 speed rear, but most of the derailleur's I can find are either 10 speed (which from what I've read might have issues with the shifter compatibility), 2 speed front, or don't fit the teeth range (although as I say I may be misunderstanding how that works).

The front chainset is 3-speed with 42/34/24, and the rear is 8-speed with 11-34T, and it's a clamp type attachment — anybody got any suggestions on front derailleurs to fit? Ideally available from Wiggle since I have vouchers from them but anywhere else is necessary.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    How about one of THESE?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just make sure it's the right swing and pull.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Have you taken off the old mech and given the pivot points a good clean and lube? Soak it in oil and keep moving it back and forth through it's full range of movement until it's pivoting freely.

If you've tried all that and it's still knackered this should do what you need:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-fd-m590 ... erailleur/

One of the Q&A responses has it working with 8 spd
  • jskrwyk
    jskrwyk Posts: 10
    I’d never even considered a new one still being available for sale. The spring was definitely gone, not just clogged; you could see it warped where the tension had gone at the end.

I managed to find a replacement new one eventually (although it took a while because it they came in top and bottom pull, and three different clamp sizes and of course mines was the rarest). It arrived today and I’m just getting it fitted.