Sram bottom Bracket

Bobblehatboy1975
Bobblehatboy1975 Posts: 36
edited October 2018 in Workshop
I have a Sram Red crankset.

I've been reading reviews on Sram bottom brackets, a lot of the reviews say they wear out very quickly.

Has anyone had experience with Sram BB or does anyone have suggestions for Sram compatible BB?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I’ve been running the same gxp on one of my bikes for a few years..
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    dont worry about it till you need to change it. that may be years and then there are loads of options.
  • I do need to change it :(
  • imposter2.0
    I do need to change it :(

So how long has yours lasted?
  • I bought the bike second hand, however since I've bought it's lasted about 6 months
  • Vino'sGhost
    Ah well! you need to change it. Excellent news, bang it out and replace like for like or get a Wheelsmfring one. Praxis are good too.

it might seem like a daunting task but is very straightforward, there are lots of threads on here but to shortcut do a search for the parktool and Wheelsmfring videos on you tube. The wheels website has links.

Tools

Hammer
    BB remover (depending on how stuck in your frame it is)
    something to press the new BB in and possibly a BB tool depending on the system you use
    a pinch of grease
    20 mins on gas mark 2

sit back and congratulate yourself for manskills :)
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    Surely it depends on whether the crankset is a BB30 variant or GPX.

If its BB30 then Vino is right.

If its gpx then the removal method is the same as HT2 - just screw the BB out from the frame on each side.
    For replacement you could use gpx or a HT2 bb with a 24/22 gpx adaptor - Hope do one but its not cheap.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    It makes no difference what crank axle is used. What matters is whether it is press-fit or screw-in. So, BB tool as per Vino's post.
  • imposter2.0
    Me-109 wrote:
    It makes no difference what crank axle is used. What matters is whether it is press-fit or screw-in. So, BB tool as per Vino's post.

The axle dimensions will be different, depending on the BB type.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    edited October 2018
    Imposter wrote:
    Me-109 wrote:

The axle dimensions will be different, depending on the BB type.
    So what? It makes no difference to the removal / installation. It's either pressed in or screwed in. Bang it out with a drift or unscrew it; press a new one in or screw it in as required. Replace like for like.
  • Vino'sGhost
    paulbnix wrote:
    Surely it depends on whether the crankset is a BB30 variant or GPX.

If its BB30 then Vino is right.

If its gpx then the removal method is the same as HT2 - just screw the BB out from the frame on each side.
    For replacement you could use gpx or a HT2 bb with a 24/22 gpx adaptor - Hope do one but its not cheap.

Sorry yes, youre right i was assuming BB30. but theres still a requirement for press and/or BB tool.

Either way its a piss easy job
  • Vino'sGhost
    I think we pretty much have the various BB issues nailed in here now :)
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Had GXP BBs on my mtb for years. Get a couple of years or 1k miles out of them. £20 and a few mins work makes them decent value in my eyes
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    GrenW wrote:
    Had GXP BBs on my mtb for years. Get a couple of years or 1k miles out of them. £20 and a few mins work makes them decent value in my eyes

If you are only riding 500miles a year I'm surprised you find that a new BB only lasts for 2 years. Unless you are riding through fords or something?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • imposter2.0
    Svetty wrote:
    GrenW wrote:

If you are only riding 500miles a year I'm surprised you find that a new BB only lasts for 2 years. Unless you are riding through fords or something?

On an MTB, quite possibly...
  • It's a BB30 bottom bracket
  • Vino'sGhost
    It's a BB30 bottom bracket

Get the hammer out Bobble. If youve never taken a hammer to your bike before youre going to need to add a stiff drink to the tool list :)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    It's a BB30 bottom bracket

Get the hammer out Bobble. If youve never taken a hammer to your bike before youre going to need to add a stiff drink to the tool list :)
    And the celebratory beer for afterwards.