WTB tyre width differential - tcs (tubeless) vs wired...

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited October 2018 in Road general
Got home from a gravel ride on Sunday and had to do some fettling with the tubeless front tyre as noted it wasnt running straight, as one of the beads/shoulders had sunken below the rim. Further inspection showed the tyre had some rubbed paint off the inside of the carbon fork.

Gap between tyre and inside of fork didnt seem particular big so decided to measure the tyre width with some vernier callipers - my 40mm WTB Nano TCS tyres come up as 45mm! Still have the original 40mm Nano wired tyres on stock Alex Rim wheels so measured those, and they only come up as 38mm. The TCS versions are on 25mm rims, so not sure why the tubeless versions are coming up so oversized. The TCS Nano's are probably 18+ months old - not sure if that could be a factor? Am running them @ 35 psi.

Anyone else had similar issues with tyres coming up much bigger than advertised?
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• GP4000S II 700*28 are ~31mm wide on ~19mm internal rim width wheels.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    My Nano 40's measure 44.5mm on 23.5 internal rims, but the WTB Resolute 42's only 43.5mm, figure that.

I'mrunning the front at 25 and the back at 28psi.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"