Student bike advice for uni commute

cyclinggeek25
cyclinggeek25 Posts: 2
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Hey all, would really appreciate some advice please - I'm looking for a bike for the next year or so, after that I'll probably sell it. I have a Trek 1.2 back home (3 hours away) but would like something cheaper and less obvious (it's red and white) for getting to Uni and back from.

Budget isn't too much of an issue providing the bike doesn't get nicked and I can sell it after I graduate next September and still have saved money on buying an annual bus ticket.

I've narrowed it down to..

Btwin Triban 100, new £250 https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-100- ... 77732.html
Btwin Triban 500, new £350 https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500- ... 79069.html
Btwin Tribün 500SE, used £180 - looks good condition, more than one owner

I live in Brighton so it's fairly hilly, I'm just not sure whether or not buying new outweighs the used option... it would probably only ever be locked up at Uni and in a lockable shed, perhaps occasionally outside the swimming pool in town but I'm not sure I'd risk it. And I'd have to add on £50 or so for mudguards and panniers at some point soon...

Any advice would be hugely appreciated! Thanks :)

p.s. I should add I've managed on a rusty £50 falcon Westminster for the past two years and would really like something a bit more reliable and enjoyable to ride for my final year as a student!

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    just use the Trek - its worth the same as the bikes you have listed so if it gets nicked you are losing the same money.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The worse it looks the less likely is to be nicked - and the less fond of it you will be if it is stolen. I'd just get something secondhand for a hundred quid or so - and use any surplus cash at the SU bar :)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 for secondhand or don't they have the hire bikes around ?
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    A half decent second hand bike would probably be worth relatively more when you come to sell it - it will still be a used bike so you might be able to get a high percentage of what you pay for it.
    A new bike on the other hand will not - it'll lose about 30% of it's value as soon as it's second hand - even if it's in great nick.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    or just use the Trek because it ticks all the above boxes.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    edited October 2018
    See if there are any local bicycle co-ops, they usually long term loan bikes to students for refundable deposit.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,401
    Look up Cranks in Brighton, quality 2nd hand stuff there, or for £70ish you can use the Brighton green hire bikes for a year. I remember years back my brand new bike got half-inched within 2 weeks of starting uni, a 2nd hand nasty gold coloured "racer" then got me through the 4 years after that. It eventually rusted through in my last week as a student after much abuse/neglect.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    save your money for beer and contraceptives. Use the Trek. Cover it in electrical tape to make it even less attractive. Buy a decent D-lock and always use it. Don't be surprised if it gets nicked anyway.