All year round kit list - What do you need?

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Currently looking at my cycling wardrobe and wondering how best to spend my cyclescheme voucher to ensure my kit list is complete for most scenarios the UK weather can throw at me.

If you cycle all year round what are your seasonal staples or if, knowing what you know now would be your ideal kit list if you had to start from scratch?

Recreational riding and training not commuting.

I'll throw mine in shortly.

Comments

• Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Must haves

Lightweight packable windproof gilet
    Armearmers
    Knee warmers
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    You haven't said whether this is commuting or recreational - I suspect you'll get different recommendations for one versus the other.

I cycle all year round recreationally, and rely on layering to deal with different weather needs.
    Key kit list consists of:
    Warm bib shorts
    Arm warmers
    Leg warners
    Long sleeve Gabba
    Various base layers
    Gilets
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I have 2 castellis bits which have been absolutely amazing; the original Fawesome gilet, which is now 4-5 years old or so and still great and sees a lot of use and the Castelli Alpha Jacket which I used regularly commuting last winter. It's great to have a single layer that is so adaptable and can be worn down to some very cold temps with just a base layer. In Autumn when its cold in the morning and warm in the evening I rely on layering, a lightweight gilet and waterproof (I've got a good Gore Active one in a bright colour which cost £80 and has been fantastic) and good knee, leg and arm warmers. In the colder months I also use padless tights so I can rotate the shorts underneath and wear the outer tights for multiple trips to save on washing. I've also got a range of headbands, caps, hats, gloves and buffs (i'm a little addicted to buying 'accessories') which are great! Very light and can make a real difference to warmth, as well as being easy to remove halfway through a ride if needed.

Next on my list would be a set of proper winter boots to save the faff of overshoes. I would also add that for somethings what is better than having 1 very good item is having 2 so that if one gets wet or is in the wash you still have an alternative.

TLDR:
    Castelli Fawesome
    Castelli Alpha Jacket
    Good lightweight waterproof
    Arm/Leg/Knee warmers
    Good gloves
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    From the pedals up:
    Summer shoes
    Winter boots - warm and waterproof
    Toe covers
    Light waterproof overshoes to use with summer shoes

Bib tights
    3/4 length tights
    Bib shorts (probably several pairs)
    Knee warmers

Selection of base layers (light vests, T-shirt style, warm long-sleeved ones, craft one with windproof panel on the front)
    Long and short sleeved jerseys
    Fairly light softshell jacket eg Castelli Alpha
    Warm winter jacket
    Packable gilet or jacket eg Sportful Hotpack

Gloves - summer mitts, light full fingered gloves, warmer softshell gloves, lobsters
    Buffs or skullcaps

If I was commuting I'd also want a proper hardshell jacket.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Too much to list.

I think it was easier back in the 80s. There wasn't anywhere near the choice you have now.

One pair of shorts. One pair woolly tights. One summer jersey. One long sleeve Jersey. One nylon fronted winter jacket. One wooly hat with peak and ear covering. Pair of mitts. Pair of winter gloves. Pair of overshoes.

Sorted for all year round.

Nowadays I have about 10 pairs of gloves alone....
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,664
    What do you need all year round?

More than you think you do but less than you currently have!!

Well it is in my case [rubs chin in wonder \]

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Updated the post to say recreational and training, so not commuting.

Warm weather I guess is pretty easy, some good points raised. I think the winter boots idea is a great shout, never known anyone buy them though. Would certainly keep my fancy Giros safer!

I’m looking at replacing my Gabba with the Rapha offering and then adding some thermal bibs that can be paired with some quality leg warmers. Castelli nanoflex type.

I’ve got a nice Morvelo LS jersey “thermoactive” which is perfect for temps down to 10c, need to add a proper packable rain jacket to go with that.

The gilet and a good quality one is a must for me, that’s on the list as my club one is too thin, likewise a Madison item I have, great for wind resistance but needs to be warmer.