Kickr core

chaymck
chaymck Posts: 157
Has anyone pre ordered one?

I currently use resistance rollers for all my indoor training. I wonder if I will miss the natural movement that the rollers allow? Does anyone regularly switch between rollers and a fixed trainer.

I've seen the new kinetic train which may be a solution. But another few months until release and another few hundred quid.

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I have the new kickr and it is absolutely brilliant. The core should be identical in most aspects, so definitely worth the money.

Up to a couple of years ago I did all my indoor training on rollers and, like you, did have concerns about losing the natural ride movement when purchasing a turbo. However this hasn't been a problem.
    I do still use my rollers as it's nice to have an occasional change from the turbo though.
  • chaymck
    Great. That is what I wanted to hear!
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    chaymck wrote:
    Great. That is what I wanted to hear!

that isn't what I wanted to hear - I've been trying to resist upgrading my turbo!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Its difficult to see why anyone would buy the 2018 Kickr when the Kickr Core is virtually the same standard as the 2018 Kickr, save for the flywheel weight, maximum gradient and watts which are beyond most mortals. At £200 price difference, I know where my money would go.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Its difficult to see why anyone would buy the 2018 Kickr when the Kickr Core is virtually the same standard as the 2018 Kickr, save for the flywheel weight, maximum gradient and watts which are beyond most mortals. At £200 price difference, I know where my money would go.

Let me guess. You'd buy the new Tacx Flux and save even more money?
  • redvision
    philthy3 wrote:

Yep, this is true.

Had my direto not packed up two months before the kickr core was available I would have bought that rather than the 2018 kickr.

Although I am chuffed to bits with the kickr and everyone knows, folding legs on a turbo trainer are definitely worth an extra £200 :lol:
  • StillGoing
    philthy3 wrote:

You seem to be missing the point. The Kickr Core is the same standard as the 2017 Kickr other than a negligibly lighter flywheel and lack of folding legs, but it is silent like the 2018 Kickr. For £2-300 more for the 2018 Kickr over the Kickr Core, you seem to get folding legs, a heavier flywheel and increased maximum wattage (that is way beyond most to be not bothered about) and greater gradient representation. In defence of the 2018 Kickr, it does also seem to be more consistent with accuracy over the Kickr Core.
  • chris_bass
    philthy3 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

You seem to be missing the point. The Kickr Core is the same standard as the 2017 Kickr other than a negligibly lighter flywheel and lack of folding legs, but it is silent like the 2018 Kickr. For £2-300 more for the 2018 Kickr over the Kickr Core, you seem to get folding legs, a heavier flywheel and increased maximum wattage (that is way beyond most to be not bothered about) and greater gradient representation. In defence of the 2018 Kickr, it does also seem to be more consistent with accuracy over the Kickr Core.

The guy has a Pinarello, he clearly doesn't understand money/value*

*joking
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

The guy has a Pinarello, he clearly doesn't understand money/value*

Joking eh?

I actually have two Pinarello Prince's. I have nine road bikes in total. I've been riding bikes for over 50 years. I've owned dozens and dozens. The Pinarello Prince is the best I've ever ridden. So I have two. My oldest is ten years old next year and therefore represents superb value for money IMHO.

*not joking.

*joking
  • chaymck
    My issue now is trying to find a core to buy. Not sure when I'll be able to get my hands on one.
  • Does it have to be a Kicker Core?
  • chaymck
    No. Doesnt need to be. But the core looks hard to beat. Plus the climb would be a nice add on later.
  • The climb? Isn't that almost universally dismissed as marketing crap?
  • chaymck
    Meh. Anything that varies the experience is good in my book. And what do they cost like 400 quid new? I'll pick one up on eBay/secondhand next winter.
  • chaymck wrote:
    Meh. Anything that varies the experience is good in my book. And what do they cost like 400 quid new? I'll pick one up on eBay/secondhand next winter.

Right. I'm glad that £400 is neither here nor there to you.

Good luck with it.

Enjoy the varied wait for the Kicker.
  • max1234
    max1234 Posts: 71
    I have the Kickr Core (got if from Sigma Sports), it's a great trainer. I previously had the 1st gen Kickr and the core is so much quieter.
    I also have the climb and it does add a lot if you want to do hilly Zwift rides. I'm not sure of the grounds for saying it has been universally dismissed as marketing crap; reviews look generally positive. For me it makes Zwift more immersive, it does seem to engage different muscles, and makes climbing out of the saddle feel natural. It also means that 2hr plus rides finish without any saddle soreness, which I otherwise find a problem on the turbo.
  • redvision
    I tried the climb for the first time on Wednesday.
    TBH i thought it would be a gimmick but i was pleasantly surprised.

The kickr itself is absolutely awesome but the climb definitely added something extra, and anything which makes indoor training more immersive is a always likely to be a winner.

The only issue is the price. Whilst i enjoyed the experience i wouldn't pay more than half the current price.
  • I bet that even the suits who created Rapha look on with admiration at Wahoo's marketing aplomb. They could polish a turd, write some advertising blurb and it would become a big seller.

I'm not saying their stuff is bad. I don't know because I've never tried their trainers but how much is hype?

A good example is the spin they put on how quiet the Kickr is. Like it matters when most people will have music playing and a bloody big fan going. The Wahoo fanboys will of course have the Wahoo fan - possibly two.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I'm not saying their stuff is bad. I don't know because I've never tried their trainers but how much is hype?

A good example is the spin they put on how quiet the Kickr is. Like it matters when most people will have music playing and a bloody big fan going. The Wahoo fanboys will of course have the Wahoo fan - possibly two.

Is the point about them being quiet not so you can use them in flats and things?

And why would you use as turbo without a fan?
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    So you have an opinion on something you have never used? I mean I've never ridden a Pinarello but I have an uninformed opinion that they are almost universally dismissed as marketing crap? I don't know because I've never tried their bikes but how much is hype?
  • haydenm
    stevie63 wrote:
    So you have an opinion on something you have never used? I mean I've never ridden a Pinarello but I have an uninformed opinion that they are almost universally dismissed as marketing crap? I don't know because I've never tried their bikes but how much is hype?

Bikes for fat lawyers, that's what I heard. I've not tried one but it's all marketing crap for fat lawyers.

:wink:
  • StillGoing
      stevie63 wrote:

TBF, I get the point being made. The quietness of the turbo is irrelevant if you're going to have a fan and music/TV blaring out as you ride. The vibration and resonance itself on the floor by most turbos would be enough to annoy those living beneath anyone in a flat, even if the only noise you hear is the drive chain. The climb may well work, but I also don't see the point of it unless you never intend going outdoors again. The £200 for the fan is ridiculous too unless you're a flush type for whom £200 is beer money. Wahoo desktop bench for £200 anyone?

Now I like Wahoo and how they've kicked Garmin into life. I would have the Kickr 2018 in a heart beat if I didn't already have the Direto. But they surely shot themselves in the foot with the Kickr Core. For now, I'll just stick with the Wahoo Elemnt.
    • stevie63
      stevie63 Posts: 481
      philthy3 wrote:
      TBF, I get the point being made. The quietness of the turbo is irrelevant if you're going to have a fan and music/TV blaring out as you ride. The vibration and resonance itself on the floor by most turbos would be enough to annoy those living beneath anyone in a flat, even if the only noise you hear is the drive chain. The climb may well work, but I also don't see the point of it unless you never intend going outdoors again. The £200 for the fan is ridiculous too unless you're a flush type for whom £200 is beer money. Wahoo desktop bench for £200 anyone?

Now I like Wahoo and how they've kicked Garmin into life. I would have the Kickr 2018 in a heart beat if I didn't already have the Direto. But they surely shot themselves in the foot with the Kickr Core. For now, I'll just stick with the Wahoo Elemnt.
      Now I also don't disagree with you that £200 for a fan is a bit mental, as it has smart features such as ant plus linking to speed and heart rate I can understand a bit of a premium. However I also see the irony of someone who proudly owns a bike that currently has a starting price of £3300 for the version with Ultegra and Racing 5 wheels moaning about Rapha and Wahoo as being overpriced.

Also with regards to noise the previous Kickr was particularly noisy and even more so in the face of competition. With the Core they have at least come up with something to take on the mid to high end range of the market though I would imagine at the cost of sales of their own pricier model.
    • StillGoing
      stevie63 wrote:
      philthy3 wrote:

Now I also don't disagree with you that £200 for a fan is a bit mental, as it has smart features such as ant plus linking to speed and heart rate I can understand a bit of a premium. However I also see the irony of someone who proudly owns a bike that currently has a starting price of £3300 for the version with Ultegra and Racing 5 wheels moaning about Rapha and Wahoo as being overpriced.

Also with regards to noise the previous Kickr was particularly noisy and even more so in the face of competition. With the Core they have at least come up with something to take on the mid to high end range of the market though I would imagine at the cost of sales of their own pricier model.

Agreed.
    • frisbee
      frisbee Posts: 691
      I've got a Kickr and I would probably still go for a Kickr over a Core, just for the folding. It folds up when I'm not using it and I can just move it a few feet over next to the wall.

I would have to cart the Core out to the garage.
    • stevie63 wrote:

You’ve missed my point entirely. Wahoo have entered the indoor trainer marketplace with products that obviously appeal and seem to work well and are reliable for the most part. What I’m suggesting is that their success in the marketplace may be down to marketing more than the product being any better than their rivals. The reason companies spend so much on marketing is because it works. Just look at what Rapha’s founders achieved.

Some of Pinarello’s marketing is OTT I’d say. But SOME (not all) of their bikes are incredible. FWIW, I’ve ridden dozens and dozens of bikes so I do have things to compare.

I’m definitely not fat (but fatter than when I was racing) and defo not a lawyer.

As for the Kickr (in its various guises) it may be the best out there but people should consuder other offerings rather than follow what I perceive as a rather clever marketing campaign.

And before anyone suggests I’m anti Wahoo, I bought the Tickr HR belt a while ago. I’ve always been a Suunto or Garmin man but the Tickr really does seem cutting edge and good VFM. Also I need a new computer and although I’ve always owned Garmin, I’m seriously considering the ELEMNT Bolt.

Hope that clears it up.
    • haydenm
      stevie63 wrote:

You’ve missed my point entirely. Wahoo have entered the indoor trainer marketplace with products that obviously appeal and seem to work well and are reliable for the most part. What I’m suggesting is that their success in the marketplace may be down to marketing more than the product being any better than their rivals. The reason companies spend so much on marketing is because it works. Just look at what Rapha’s founders achieved.

Some of Pinarello’s marketing is OTT I’d say. But SOME (not all) of their bikes are incredible. FWIW, I’ve ridden dozens and dozens of bikes so I do have things to compare.

I’m definitely not fat (but fatter than when I was racing) and defo not a lawyer.

As for the Kickr (in its various guises) it may be the best out there but people should consuder other offerings rather than follow what I perceive as a rather clever marketing campaign.

And before anyone suggests I’m anti Wahoo, I bought the Tickr HR belt a while ago. I’ve always been a Suunto or Garmin man but the Tickr really does seem cutting edge and good VFM. Also I need a new computer and although I’ve always owned Garmin, I’m seriously considering the ELEMNT Bolt.

Hope that clears it up.

Even if you were I'd say good on you tbh, I was just winding you up about the marketing thing. You're definitely right about marketing being a huge factor in success. Realistically I'd rather have something that had more money on the product and less on marketing but obviously it's unavoidable. The thing that puts me off garmin is their software, that said I have a garmin watch and a bar mounted garmin so their marketing clearly works on me :lol:
    • Is there any reason to buy one of these over the Elite Direto (which seems to be very popular amongst posters here)?
    • StillGoing
      Bluemoon17 wrote:
      Is there any reason to buy one of these over the Elite Direto (which seems to be very popular amongst posters here)?

For me, it would depend on your prowess as a cyclist. The Direto is excellent for the price and more than enough for the average cyclist for gradient representation and maximum watts. The Kickr is just a little bit better in areas, but a fair bit more expensive. It costs almost as much as the Drivo II and Neo which I'd go for over it if I was laying that kind of money out. It does have the advantage or integrating perfectly with other Wahoo products like the Elemnt computers, fan and climb if they float your boat and you have deep pockets. One other advantage over the Elite products is the English speaking support. Elite are a nightmare to communicate with in my experience, so a simple problem becomes a big deal trying to convey it to them and understand the solution. At the minute their answer to everything seems to be do a calibration check and adjust the off-set back to factory, and to be fair to them, it seems to work.
    • chris_bass
      does anyone know of any good deals for the kickr core at the moment? i'm seriously considering it and if there was a bargain to be had it might just swing it for me!