Camera?

vegas76
vegas76 Posts: 278
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Does anyone here use a camera to record cycling? What do you use?

I want to get one, but not to spend a fortune.

Comments

• shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    GoPro session.
    I like it. Would get a Session 5 if buying today although from a quick google it seems that they have been discontinued. Shame.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Fly 12

pretty expensive - but does have 10 hour battery life, which most don't. Depends what type of cycling you're doing
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    kingrollo wrote:
    Fly 12

pretty expensive - but does have 10 hour battery life, which most don't. Depends what type of cycling you're doing

Ouch, expensive! I'm just looking to record a few hours of cycling (currently do a maximum of 2-3 hours but will build to 5). Also not wanting to spend a packet of cash. Even the session is a bit more than I can really justify.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pick a random Go Pro clone off Amazon with lots of ratings.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    What are you recording it for? Your enjoyment or reporting purposes?
    You can go cheaper for reporting purposes - you just need to be able to read number plates from it.

For enjoyment - well - higher resolution & image stabalisation makes it better - I heard GoPro have come out with something that improves the recording ...
    For me though, it needs multiple camera angles to make it worth watching ...
  • kingrollo
    Look on amazon\ebay - some people get on well with £40 things...

Do be aware of cost creep, - brakets, charger, batteries, sd cards , not all 'bundles' come complete - so when you factor in add ons it not the bargain it first looks...
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I’ve had 2 in the past. Yes there are a few times I wish I had it on the bike but for the most part I find it a faff and very unessesary and just means I have more stuff to worry about when all I want to do is go for a ride!
  • kingrollo
    solboy10 wrote:
    I’ve had 2 in the past. Yes there are a few times I wish I had it on the bike but for the most part I find it a faff and very unessesary and just means I have more stuff to worry about when all I want to do is go for a ride!

Thats where the fly scores - with is auto looping, big battery life, incident capture , to a degree - fit and forget

But its a serious wedge of cash - I think maybe you can still get the original fly 12 for around £150 - given that you get a decent bracket, and sd card - thats quite a deal - I got the fly 12 CE as a warranty replacement TBH i thought the original was the better camera £250 for fly 12 ce is OTT - it isn't worth that...
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I've placed an order for one of these, with spare battery. I can't give a review, as it's not actually shipped out yet (delay from the manufacturer apparently), but looks okay for £40 - sleek, unobtrusive and the picture quality is okay, looking at the videos. UK dealer as well.

https://chilli-tech.com/content/new-bul ... on-camera/

For me it will just be a commuter security thing, not to record rides for pleasure.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've got one of those - although it did come from Amazon - it looks the same.

Comments
    1) Picture quality is ok - not excellent - but ok
    2) Audio quality - there isn't any - as in, with the back plate screwed on (which keeps the battery in) - it muffles the mic.
    3) Connecting for charging and viewing files - you have to switch the two switches to specific combinations - rather annoying if you forget to switch back.
    4) TimeStamp - resets itself when you remove the battery - which is rather easy to do
    5) Mount is a bit of a monster connecting it to your handlebars - I got a go-pro conversion foot and used that - much slicker.

I've not really used it consistently enough to say its good or bad - it's certainly not as intuitive as a gopro - but I do like the look & feel of it.