Double crankset upgrade - need some help please

brettar
brettar Posts: 2
edited September 2018 in MTB buying advice
I currently have the Shimano XT M8000 groupset with a single 34t chainring. If I just rode trails, this would be perfectly adequate.

But I do quite a bit of road riding in between trail rides and as you would expect, it is pretty easy to spin-out a 34t on the road. My previous bikes have always had triple crankset so there has always been a larger chainring and I haven't spun out.

I am looking to upgrade to a double crankset with 34/42 teeth. I searched everywhere (this being the most promising http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cranksets/mtb-cranksets) and didn't find this combination, most had smaller chainrings in the 20's and the larger was in the 30's. eg. 24/38 etc. I want to make sure my small chainring stays at 34t.

The tinkerer in me is saying SURELY there must be a way to create any combination of chainring, either with adapter brackets or some basic engineering skills.

1) Do you know of any (UK) companies that would build or customise double cranksets?

2) If not, which companies/brands (UK) can you recommend for off-the-shelf double cranksets?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments