Campag compatibility question

bigsharn
bigsharn Posts: 9
edited March 2019 in The workshop
Hey all. I've recently bought myself a Dawes Galaxy which (weirdly) has a campag veloce setup. Now I've managed to snap the chain and rear derailleur (limiter screws set improperly by the previous owner is the diagnosis I've had).

First question: getting a 9sp campy chain isn't difficult, but isn't particularly cheap either, can I use a Shimano without compatibility issues?

Secondly, I'm having problems sourcing a new derailleur, I'm aware that getting Shimano talk to Campy is doable but difficult, and seeing as I'll be touring on her that's not an option I'd like to pursue. Is it possible to get another campy model to work with my shifters, either different speeds (or campy-compatible brand recommendations will do)

Thanks in advance everyone!

Comments

• jpj84
    jpj84 Posts: 51
    I'd use a KMC chain personally - they're compatible with all groupsets.

As far as the rear mech goes, I suspect a 10 speed Veloce will be compatible: I use one of these with an 11 speed Athena set up and it's fine; would think the same would apply with 9 speed.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    The derailleur just moves, it's the levers/cable /ratchets that make it stop. The limit screws jsu control the point where it reaches the final point. Jockey wheels may be smaller in width for 10 speed but won't make any difference. try ebay first
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    amrushton wrote:
    The derailleur just moves, it's the levers/cable /ratchets that make it stop. The limit screws just control the point where it reaches the final point. Jockey wheels may be smaller in width for 10 speed but won't make any difference. try ebay first

Annoyingly that generalisation doesn't always apply. Shimano for instance buggered about with the cable pull when they went to 11 speed, so you can't use an older 10 speed mech with 11 speed shifters. And then they muddied the water further by applying the new cable pull to the most recent 10 speed Tiagra, which consequently won't play nicely with any other 10 speed stuff.

And I understand Campag have also mucked about with cable pull and sprocket spacing from one generation to another so that's not all plain sailing either...

Somebody somewhere must've done a compatibility chart...?
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Try Leonard Zinn. he is v.knowledgable re compatibility