Tyre advice for winter - new rider

alexbg
alexbg Posts: 19
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
Just got my first road bike, it is fitted with new Kenda Kriterium 700x25 60TPI, I am planning to do a bit of road riding and mostly riding on paths likes this one http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3810715 Still quite smooth but greasy and wet with leaves and some bumps. I run tubeless on my mountain bike and never get punctures so hoping to get a set of tyres that are more puncture resistant than fast. I've seen another thread about Bontrager R4 classics tubular would be a good option?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just give those a go and see how you go. I'm sure they'll be fine.

Only if you start to get punctures would I spend out.

And you do know you can't fit tubular tyres to normal wheels ?
  • cougie wrote:
    And you do know you can't fit tubular tyres to normal wheels ?

I did not know this, no! I'll look into it a bit more.

Seems like a lot of road tyres puncture a lot. I'd rather be a bit slower than stopping to change tubes
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Very pleased with my Conti 4 seasons so far.
    Dave
  • I know Drake's Trail well and the main issue is the amount of leaves on it. The leaves make it quite dangerous and skiddy and unfortunately no tyres will really compensate for that.
    Stick some fast tyres on and go on the A386 in the winter instead IMO.
  • The Michelin pro4 endurance would be my recommendation.
  • Until a fairly recent change on my summer bike to tubeless, I ran Conti GP 4k's on both winter and summer bikes. Excellent all round tyres.
  • Joe Totale wrote:
    I know Drake's Trail well and the main issue is the amount of leaves on it. The leaves make it quite dangerous and skiddy and unfortunately no tyres will really compensate for that.
    Stick some fast tyres on and go on the A386 in the winter instead IMO.

A386 looks like a death trap for cyclists, I'm not a fan of riding on the road at all. My Remedy is fine on the trail but 2.4inch downhill tyres means it's a bit slow.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Conti 4s proves nicely puncture resistant for me