Does this bike exist?

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
So i'm still looking for a winter bike and whilst I was leaning towards a steel frame I cannot find one with the geometry i favour.

So basically, are there any steel or aluminium road frames/ bikes under £1k with an aggressive geometry but have clearance for full mudguards (preferably with mounts), rim brakes, and a standard bottom bracket (English thread).
I should add I only ride 23mm or occasionally 25mm tyres, so no need for wider.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ribble Audax
  • Triban T520 drop bar.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520- ... 77757.html

A great winter bike.
  • redvision
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Triban T520 drop bar

Too upright and relaxed geometry I'm afraid.
    Imposter wrote:
    Ribble Audax

Yeah I know. Have been looking at this but was hoping there was an alternative as the colour scheme is not particularly appealing and let's face it, ribble haven't refreshed the model since its launch.
    Still, needs must, so if there aren't any alternatives it may well end up being the best option.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    redvision wrote:
    So i'm still looking for a winter bike and whilst I was leaning towards a steel frame I cannot find one with the geometry i favour.

So basically, are there any steel or aluminium road frames/ bikes under £1k with an aggressive geometry but have clearance for full mudguards (preferably with mounts), rim brakes, and a standard bottom bracket (English thread).

Yes it does - Dolan Preffisio. Alu frame with BSA threaded BB. Has a traditional horizontal top tube so you could get a fairly aggressive set up if that's what you want.

Also has mudguard and pannier mounts. Will take 25mm tyres with mudguards fitted. The example below is the 105 5800 version at priced at £799 for the basic spec. They also offer SRAM Rival 22 and Ultegra 8000 builds for more money.

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-b ... -5800.html
  • redvision
    arlowood wrote:

Yes it does - Dolan Preffisio.

Thanks, will take a look!
  • any of the above and throw a mahoosif negative stem on.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Given that you seem to have a fairly old school set of requirements I'm not sure I understand the issue with the Ribble not having been "refreshed since launch".

You can get mudguards on pretty much anything using the clips that go into dropouts. Why not buy the bike you always wanted 10 years ago on eBay?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You'd think Ribble would at least offer a different colour. There's 1000s of the blue ones around. Must be a nightmare trying to find yours at the café.
  • redvision
    cougie wrote:
    You'd think Ribble would at least offer a different colour. There's 1000s of the blue ones around. Must be a nightmare trying to find yours at the café.

Yeah I know. My thoughts exactly.
    Still, with so many out there I guess you know it's a decent training bike.
    Given that you seem to have a fairly old school set of requirements I'm not sure I understand the issue with the Ribble not having been "refreshed since launch".

You can get mudguards on pretty much anything using the clips that go into dropouts. Why not buy the bike you always wanted 10 years ago on eBay?

Old school? What, because I want something with a standard bb and rim brakes? Not sure why that would be considered old school, more so easy maintenance and more suited to winter riding (from past experience).

I have used race blades and cruds for years but have come to the conclusion that they are only really effective at keeping spray off riders on your wheel.
  • Genesis Equilibrium would be my shout. It's £50 over budget but ticks all the other boxes:

https://www.cjperformancecycles.com/370 ... KEEALw_wcB
  • redvision wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Yeah I know. My thoughts exactly.
    Still, with so many out there I guess you know it's a decent training bike.
    Given that you seem to have a fairly old school set of requirements I'm not sure I understand the issue with the Ribble not having been "refreshed since launch".

Old school? What, because I want something with a standard bb and rim brakes? Not sure why that would be considered old school, more so easy maintenance and more suited to winter riding (from past experience).

I have used race blades and cruds for years but have come to the conclusion that they are only really effective at keeping spray off riders on your wheel.
    Yeah it isn't a bad thing. Bit if that's what you want tyou'll probably get more performance for a given budget buying second hand. By the same token just because a frame is the same as was being made 5 years ago it doesn't mean that you are missing out on some magic pixie dust.
  • redvision wrote:

Yep and even better...

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-e ... e-al-disc/

Ribble have refreshed the whole.line of bikes.
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    I saw the refreshed Ribble line at the Cycle Show today. They look really smart and much better value than Genesis now, who want £1400 for 105 with junk wheels. Ribble is 300 cheaper with Mavic wheels too.

The endurance 725 looked good, but on both the rim and disc braked versions tyre/mudguard clearance was less than I was expecting, less than a genesis equilibrium by some margin. The staff on the stall said all will be available as framesets too eventually.