Garmin edge 510 upgrade recommendations

rock_bus
rock_bus Posts: 35
edited October 2018 in Road general
My Garmin edge 510 is dying so time for replacement and looking for recommendations.

Key features for me are:
route - like to move to map and turn by turn as opposed to breadcrumb on 510
Connection and upload by Bluetooth to iPad/iPhone rather than having to physically connect to pc.
Simplicity to use.

Finances mean I’ll be buying 2nd hand rather than new flashy one (so if anyone is looking to sell the let me know!)

Cheers

Comments

• SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    Anything. By which I mean absolutely any GPS receiver on the market would be an improvement over the 510. Even a second hand 500. The Edge 510 has to be the worst. Glitchy, poor battery, problems getting it to connect via Bluetooth, The 810 was the same but at least that had mapping.
  • Strange, mines been ok! Just the navigation seems very dated now
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Wahoo elemnt bolt.

If you do want to stick with garmin for some reason though the 520.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    520 plus road bundle at NEC today £300, guessing 520 being phased out. I've seen 520 bundle for £250 online somewhere, but can't remember where. Will have a think if you need me to as you said used.
    Dave
  • Get an element bolt. Its the bestest ever aparrently and I mean ever. There's an owners club already. You can even wear it as a watch and use it as a phone. No one has ever ever experienced a single problem with an element bolt. If you search for element bolt all you see is stars, in groups of 5s, but the internet is clogged with people complaining about all Garmin devices ever made. More people complain about Garmin than Volkswagen.
  • naavt
    naavt Posts: 226
    Get an element bolt. Its the bestest ever aparrently and I mean ever. There's an owners club already. You can even wear it as a watch and use it as a phone. No one has ever ever experienced a single problem with an element bolt. If you search for element bolt all you see is stars, in groups of 5s, but the internet is clogged with people complaining about all Garmin devices ever made. More people complain about Garmin than Volkswagen.

Ironies apart, I do like my Bolt and think that it’s way better than any Garmin I’ve used so far. Nonetheless, it’s a new product so it would have been odd if Wahoo didn’t made it right.

Most certainly Garmin will enter the battle for best gps unit (which I think they didn’t so far), but again... it’s just a matter of time. But then, it will be another Wahoo on the horizon, or another Bryton, or another Lezyne, or another whatever!
  • shiznit76 wrote:

Would be if had them in stock!
  • Rock bus wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:

Would be if had them in stock!

Ok.£5 extra

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Compute ... B010SDBGQU

sho about loads places selling them off the now
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    naavt wrote:
    Get an element bolt. Its the bestest ever aparrently and I mean ever. There's an owners club already. You can even wear it as a watch and use it as a phone. No one has ever ever experienced a single problem with an element bolt. If you search for element bolt all you see is stars, in groups of 5s, but the internet is clogged with people complaining about all Garmin devices ever made. More people complain about Garmin than Volkswagen.

Ironies apart, I do like my Bolt and think that it’s way better than any Garmin I’ve used so far. Nonetheless, it’s a new product so it would have been odd if Wahoo didn’t made it right.

Most certainly Garmin will enter the battle for best gps unit (which I think they didn’t so far), but again... it’s just a matter of time. But then, it will be another Wahoo on the horizon, or another Bryton, or another Lezyne, or another whatever!

Ignore, they've got a hard on for Wahoo, but don't like to admit it. :roll:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • naavt
    philthy3 wrote:

I just gave MHO as you did by now, and since we all can read between the lines of your comment, have you got a hard on for Garmin or whatever brand you stand behind?

I’ve seen dozens moving from Garmin to Wahoo in these last couple years, can you say the same in reverse?

I think that will account for something, unless you think that all those guys are complete idiots.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    naavt wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

I just gave MHO as you did by now, and since we all can read between the lines of your comment, have you got a hard on for Garmin or whatever brand you stand behind?

I’ve seen dozens moving from Garmin to Wahoo in these last couple years, can you say the same in reverse?

I think that will account for something, unless you think that all those guys are complete idiots.

You obviously misunderstood. I switched from Garmin to Wahoo with the first ELEMNT a while ago after years of Garmin ownership. Its the other responder to your post that has the hard on for Wahoo. :lol:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • naavt wrote:
    This is about as unexpected as more people using the m25 once it had opened.
  • Get an element bolt. Its the bestest ever aparrently and I mean ever. There's an owners club already. You can even wear it as a watch and use it as a phone. No one has ever ever experienced a single problem with an element bolt. If you search for element bolt all you see is stars, in groups of 5s, but the internet is clogged with people complaining about all Garmin devices ever made. More people complain about Garmin than Volkswagen.

Does the Bolt do true turn by turn navigation with on the fly rerouting? Can you simply enter in a destination while out on the road and have the Bolt create a course to navigate with turn by turn?

I've seen many conflicting answers to these questions. If the answers are no, I'm not sure why anyone who is looking for a device primarily for navigation would consider the Bolt?
  • naavt
    rlanger wrote:

Does the Bolt do true turn by turn navigation

Yes!
    rlanger wrote:
    with on the fly rerouting?

No
    rlanger wrote:
    Can you simply enter in a destination while out on the road and have the Bolt create a course to navigate with turn by turn

Yes
  • naavt
    philthy3 wrote:

You obviously misunderstood. :lol:

Now that I’ve read it again you’re right! That’s the issues of not being a native English speaker :)