Canyon CF SLX Ultimate 8- buying advice please.

pete1336
pete1336 Posts: 86
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
In two years time Im retiring from full time work and am hoping to upgrade from my current road bike to my dream bike. I'm preparing to spend around 5k to get what I want and currently I have my heart set on the above. Groupset will either be ultegra or dura ace DI2.
For this amount of money I'm expecting that the bike will be a good quality product with good quality components. I was looking this morning as to what type of bottom bracket this bike has and noted that it's still a press fit design...BB92. Ive experienced problems with my current PF30 BB, is the BB92 a better design?

Anyway, what I wanted to ask in the main, to those who either own this bike or know a good deal about this bike is this...why shouldn't I buy this bike, is there anything known about it which is a common problem?
Thanks in advance,
Pete

Comments

• There is no reason why you shouldn't buy this bike, there are no known pressfit BB issues.

The only factor maybe that the stack-to-reach is low.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    First of all, congrats on your upcoming retirement.

Are you looking to get the bike when you retire or shortly? Tbh if you're not looking to buy for two years I wouldn't be setting my heart on anything just yet as the way the bike industry moves forward, there will very likely be something better and more appealing when you come to pull the trigger.

If you are buying shortly then don't let the press fit bb put you off. Just make sure you maintain the bike properly and it will be fine.
  • Your dream bike is just your next bike. I’m on my fourth dream bike. I’m now trying to decide on my fifth dream bike.

IMO if you want an extra special bike that you’ll take to the grave then it should be bespoke and steel that can take mechanical and electronic depending on how you feel. Then you can stick on new groupsets and bits as you ride through the years while you watch your other carbon dream bikes come and go.
  • robu
    robu Posts: 26
    You might want to bear in mind that Canyon's back to its old tricks regarding deliveries. I ordered an Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 Di2 on September 9 and received an email confirming it would be sent between September 10–14. I'm going on a cycling holiday abroad at the end of October, so thought six weeks would be adequate to ensure the bike arrived in time.

However, on September 15 the tracking link on the email showed my ordered bike hadn't been dispatched within the promised window, so I emailed Canyon. I waited two days for a reply, but it never came, so I tracked down the UK rep, who took another couple of days to reply to my enquiry. Stating that he was "looking into your order now", he promised that he would be "personally monitoring your order to ensure you get on the road as soon as possible. As a rider myself, I know the excitement of receiving a new bike and want for you to be out riding."

I hoped these promises were not hollow words. Later that day I got another email stating that the UK reps "can't see any reason why your bike is being delayed".

A further five days later, I sent another reminder to Canyon UK, as I'd heard nothing in the interim. It was now September 25. A few hours later, I got a reply that stated "I've escalated your case to the highest level of order management so that I get a reply ASAP."

The next day an email arrived, not from Canyon's UK rep, but from Canyon in Germany saying that my order had been delayed. The new dispatch date was October 1–5, but when that shipping window arrived today, I received yet another automated email from Canyon in Germany, announcing yet another delay in the shipping of my new bike. It is now promised for October 22–26, which is when I'll be on the cycling holiday for which I bought it.

So my advice is tread carefully with Canyon. Its bikes are well priced and impressively specced on paper, but in practice not much use if they don't turn up for the best part of two months after they're ordered.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I have very recently purchased an ultegra di2 bike (not canyon) - but just to say I am really impressed with the di2 shifting - I can't really put it into words ....but its just so damm nice !

A canyon was on my shortlist - in the end it came out a tad dearer and the bike I brought was from a uk based shop (and Red !) which gave me that bit of reassurance - In way glad a did because at the fitting session the di2 battery started acting up - there and then they swapped it out - charged new battery - I tested it until I was happy - the thought of doing that across international borders via email would have been a right royal PITA .......collection time was about a week from order....

....yer pays ya money.....
  • Does a Canyon really tug at the heartstrings for £5K?

Head, maybe, but they are so bland.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Nice looking bike. What would you go for Shirley ?
  • kingrollo
    Does a Canyon really tug at the heartstrings for £5K?

Head, maybe, but they are so bland.

It all subjective though - I was chatting to a guy in our club who was moaning that his preferred bike only came in red !!! - which is bordering on insanity to me !

Problem with £5k - is your expectations go through the roof !
  • Wilier Cento10 Air Ramato (the copper one or the blue/white/black one)

maxresdefault.jpg

Wilier-Cento-10-Air-Ultegra-2017-Road-Bike-Road-Bikes-Blue-Orange-2017-0.jpg?w=960&h=430&a=7

Basso Diamante 40th anniversary, MAAP or the 2019 metallic blue.

Basso-Diamante.jpg

DIAMANTE%20maap_57d1592fe4caa.jpg

DSC08178%20copy_5b519e0870106.jpg

New S3 is good looking too, but I'd want rim brake if available.

CerveloS3_1-1280x961.jpg

Colnago C64 built up which whatever I could afford (carbon wheels and Potenza or 105 R7000)

There's a lot of bikes out there for £5K and while I know it's a personal choice and I'm sure Canyon make great bikes, to me they are very boring.
  • kingrollo
    Anyway is that BB shit or not ?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    OK that Ramato is to diiiie for - but blimey 7500 UKP for Ultegra DI2.

Wonder if any third parties do that finish ?
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    As someone who recently purchased a Canyon (in black). I have to admit for me its not a dream bike. Just a well priced one, good groupset, good frame and good wheels. My Canyon probably looks boring, its the stealth aeroad, but it does its job very well and was a lot of bike for the £3.2k I paid for it....At £4k normal price there is other options that at least look better. For £5k again I'd probably look elsewhere. With Canyon, especially so in the Sales, its a lot of bike for the money....but aesthetically less pleasing than a lot of others.
    Shirley gave some good options, but custom steel for me...or maybe the Basso. I do like that 2019 Diamante. Also love the copper Wilier's. Here's some images of another option that just looks awesome, probably difficult to source I'd imagine.

http://pedalheadroadworks.com/updates/superleggera
    https://www.wilier.com/en/products/int/ ... perleggera