Reynolds Assault disc wheels, or...

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
As title, I'm itching to pull the trigger on some deeper carbon disc wheels to replace the stock wheels on my Solace . Was pretty set on Reynolds Assaults, but see I can get the Prime Black 38s from CRC for less with BC discount (lighter, wider, but presumably less good hubs?)

Then of course there's Hunt with their 50mm Carbon Aero Disc Wheelset at only 1367g, or then again Farsports et al direct from China.

Grateful for thoughts
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• Lifetime warranty with the Reynolds, and straight pull hubs would be plus points

I have Reynolds Attack 25mm wide, Enve 4.5s 27mm wide. The Prime/ Hunt are 27.5mm, perfect if you want to run 28mm tyres and your frame has clearance.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • luv2ride
    Lifetime warranty with the Reynolds, and straight pull hubs would be plus points

I have Reynolds Attack 25mm wide, Enve 4.5s 27mm wide. The Prime/ Hunt are 27.5mm, perfect if you want to run 28mm tyres and your frame has clearance.

I think the Primes have straight pull DT Swiss spokes too. My stock wheels are approx 18.5mm wide internal, and bring 28mm Conti 4000ii's out to 30mm. Really happy with that combo, so wanted something as wide but with deeper rims. Wasn't sure whether 17mm internal might be better suited to 25 rather than 28mm tyres? Would want to stick to 28s to be honest as I have the clearance. Using BC discount I could get 10% off the Primes, plus TCB, so could fund some rotors and even a cassette for easy wheel swaps. Woukd keep the stock wheels for winter and really shoot weather.

Hunts look interesting too though had heard very tight to mount tyres...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    How much can you get the Reynolds for?

If you want to get the Primes, looks like the 10% discount is not going to be alive for long, so I would get shifting!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • luv2ride
    Daniel B wrote:

If you want to get the Primes, looks like the 10% discount is not going to be alive for long, so I would get shifting!

Thanks for heads up on longevity of the CRC discount, Dan. Reckon I can get the Primes for £850 plus TCB at 2.1%. Reynolds would work out at £974 plus TCB (1.05%)

Hunts seem to be £879, but no discounts that I'm aware of. Would still need to get rotors and cassette, hence the Primes look good, though I think also a touch overpriced at rrp.

Out of all of them the Reynolds look to be the heaviest and not as wide, but have the best after sales supprt and warranty, and probably better hubs not to mention R&D - Swirl Lip Generator anyone? :wink:
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Thanks for heads up on longevity of the CRC discount, Dan. Reckon I can get the Primes for £850 plus TCB at 2.1%. Reynolds would work out at £974 plus TCB (1.05%)

Hunts seem to be £879, but no discounts that I'm aware of. Would still need to get rotors and cassette, hence the Primes look good, though I think also a touch overpriced at rrp.

Out of all of them the Reynolds look to be the heaviest and not as wide, but have the best after sales supprt and warranty, and probably better hubs not to mention R&D - Swirl Lip Generator anyone? :wink:

Have you not considerd handbuilt?

My second hand ones (Bought off here), are 1545g, and were built by Malcolm at Cycle clinic.
    However potentially he (or someone else reputable) can build you a lighter pair for more readies, but less cash that any of the other options you listed.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • luv2ride
    Daniel B wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

My second hand ones (Bought off here), are 1545g, and were built by Malcolm at Cycle clinic.
    However potentially he (or someone else reputable) can build you a lighter pair for more readies, but less cash that any of the other options you listed.

I had, but hadn't pursued that route so far as he options didn't seem particularly light (but recognise this is the lower end of the price spectrum). Had seen that you can still get the v2 Prime rims and upgraded, lighter disc hubs from CRC but wasnt sure of tbe spokes etc. That might be an alternative but not sure whether i could easily find someone local to build them up for me. Also narrower internal width than stock wheels. £454 plus spokes, parts and labour...
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I've been on a similar hunt for some bargain carbons. Came across some Token Ventous https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-wheels/token-ventous-disc-prime-carbon-tubeless-ready-wheelset-shimano/11785984.html which are very light for the money. (5% off with code WH5) There is a Roubx version available for less, slightly heavier and don't know if they will take 28C road tyres as they are quite wide. Anyone have any knowledge of these?

I have also had handbuilts recommended, Spokeman Wheels who builds up Carbonal rims with a range of hubs. I'm a bit torn at the moment but have time on my hands as I haven't even started a build yet! Malcolm (cycleclinic) also recommended on here by all and under consideration.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Wouldn't Yoleo be an option? (https://www.yoeleobike.com/) I know its a Chinese import, but supposedly very good wheels.
    I've got 62mm Reynolds SLG Assault and 40mm Vision Metron disc wheels. I've had quite a few more expensive wheelsets but rim brake, the Reynolds do notice the crosswinds, its nothing worrying but it is noticeable. Generally though the look great and have a feel of maintaining speed easier than shallow rims. I don't really notice the weight difference between the Reynolds and the Metron's, never weighed them, but one doesn't feel any heavier than the other.
    For my next set I'll most certainly be looking at Yoeleo, sat60 for me.
    Hambini's website is worth googling and has some really interesting data on aero performance wheels. I can't link to it from my work laptop)
  • handful wrote:
    I've been on a similar hunt for some bargain carbons. Came across some Token Ventous https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-wheels/token-ventous-disc-prime-carbon-tubeless-ready-wheelset-shimano/11785984.html which are very light for the money. (5% off with code WH5) There is a Roubx version available for less, slightly heavier and don't know if they will take 28C road tyres as they are quite wide. Anyone have any knowledge of these?

I have also had handbuilts recommended, Spokeman Wheels who builds up Carbonal rims with a range of hubs. I'm a bit torn at the moment but have time on my hands as I haven't even started a build yet! Malcolm (cycleclinic) also recommended on here by all and under consideration.

I reckon the Tokens look like a really decent wheelsets at reasonable price. Konax Pro look like possible candidates for my next set
  • Prime and Hunt wheels are both rebadged Chinese (mostly farsports) wheels. I bought a pair of hunt 30 carbon disc wheels but sent them back because they were ~150g heavier than claimed and only 19mm internal width rather than 21mm.

I also considered those token ventous but couldn't find much info on them.

Instead I ordered a pair of Light Bicycle 46mm deep, 21mm internal, 28mm external rims built onto dt Swiss 240 hubs. They came out at around 1435g and cost £850 Inc delivery and vat, customs charges etc. Done a couple of thousand km on them now and been really pleased with them.

I have a pair of 25c Michelin power competition tyres mounted and they balloon out to almost exactly 28mm to match the rims.

YF4EHucoc7XpMvyf8
  • luv2ride
    kofsw4 wrote:
    Prime and Hunt wheels are both rebadged Chinese (mostly farsports) wheels. I bought a pair of hunt 30 carbon disc wheels but sent them back because they were ~150g heavier than claimed and only 19mm internal width rather than 21mm.

Instead I ordered a pair of Light Bicycle 46mm deep, 21mm internal, 28mm external rims built onto dt Swiss 240 hubs. They came out at around 1435g and cost £850 Inc delivery and vat, customs charges etc. Done a couple of thousand km on them now and been really pleased with them.

I have a pair of 25c Michelin power competition tyres mounted and they balloon out to almost exactly 28mm to match the rims.

YF4EHucoc7XpMvyf8
    Thanks for that. Those Light Bicycle wheels sound exactly what I'm after. I can't see the image you posted though, any chance you could try again? How long did you have to wait for the wheels?

I agree the Token Ventous also look a good option (thanks handful ^), but the graphics put me off a little.
  • They're not disc wheels but I've had a pair of Assaults and a pair of Attacks for years. Not used in winter but in summer used as everyday wheels. Up there with best I've ever ridden.

It's a no-brainer alongside other options you've listed.
  • luv2ride
    So, was pretty set on the Reynolds Assaults, until I read this BR review of some Fulcrum Racing 5 disc wheels today:

"The downside is the rim itself, at 21.7mm wide externally and just 16.9mm internally (officially 17mm), it’s best suited to 23mm tyres or 25s at a push. So, if you want to experiment with wider tyres that most modern disc bikes allow, if you go beyond 25mm the 5s won’t best shape the tyre."

The Assaults are 17mm internally, 25 external. Can any Assaults owners say whether they're successfully using 28 or 30mm tyres on theirs? Not sure whether BR are spouting marketing tosh, or whether there is something in it?

Cheers!
  • kofsw4 wrote:
    Prime and Hunt wheels are both rebadged Chinese (mostly farsports) wheels. I bought a pair of hunt 30 carbon disc wheels but sent them back because they were ~150g heavier than claimed and only 19mm internal width rather than 21mm.

YF4EHucoc7XpMvyf8

How do you know they are rebadged?
  • kofsw4 wrote:

I think Hunt openly admit as much...
  • Luv2ride wrote:

The Assaults are 17mm internally, 25 external. Can any Assaults owners say whether they're successfully using 28 or 30mm tyres on theirs? Not sure whether BR are spouting marketing tosh, or whether there is something in it?

Cheers!

I have 28mm Maxxis tubeless on Reynolds Attacks without any issue (Rim brake)
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • kofsw4
    kofsw4 Posts: 39
    kofsw4 wrote:

Yes, no big secret i don't think. I believe both use Kinlin and Farsports rims together with Novatec, Bitex etc hubs. Nothing wrong with them, just know what you're getting when assessing their value, including of course the value of having a UK warranty.

Wider tyres on narrow rims may result in 'lightbulb' effect and squishy feeling when cornering, Having owned 13, 15, 17, 19 and now 21mm rims, wider is definitely more comfortable and better handling. Possibly more aero too although probably not much difference at the speeds I travel.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    kofsw4 wrote:
    kofsw4 wrote:

Yes, no big secret i don't think. I believe both use Kinlin and Farsports rims together with Novatec, Bitex etc hubs. Nothing wrong with them, just know what you're getting when assessing their value, including of course the value of having a UK warranty.

Wider tyres on narrow rims may result in 'lightbulb' effect and squishy feeling when cornering, Having owned 13, 15, 17, 19 and now 21mm rims, wider is definitely more comfortable and better handling. Possibly more aero too although probably not much difference at the speeds I travel.

Novatec are actually my hub of choice now - light, reliable, really easy to service, silent freehub as long as you keep it greased and really easy to swap between axle types. All that and they are really good value too.
  • luv2ride
    Daniel B wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Handbuilt is now probably the route I'm going, following a very helpful and enlightening discussion with Mark at Spokesman wheels. Just waiting on some quoted options...may even go mixed rim depths so 38mm front, 50mm rear...we'll see.

Heard good things about Novatech and Bitex hubs, just need to make sure whatever option i go for work out cheaper than the Primes I was originally looking at. Actually had them in my basket @ 23:45 on Sunday night with the last 10% BC discount code, but still couldn't quite justify pulling the trigger at £850 :(
  • handful
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Handbuilt is now probably the route I'm going, following a very helpful and enlightening discussion with Mark at Spokesman wheels. Just waiting on some quoted options...may even go mixed rim depths so 38mm front, 50mm rear...we'll see.

Heard good things about Novatech and Bitex hubs, just need to make sure whatever option i go for work out cheaper than the Primes I was originally looking at. Actually had them in my basket @ 23:45 on Sunday night with the last 10% BC discount code, but still couldn't quite justify pulling the trigger at £850 :(

Is that the Carbonal ones I mentioned? I'd love to hear how you get on with them and Spokesman. A guy in my club speaks highly of Mark so hopefully a good experience! What logo though? I think they come plain don't they?
    Orbea Rise
  • luv2ride
    handful wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Is that the Carbonal ones I mentioned? I'd love to hear how you get on with them and Spokesman. A guy in my club speaks highly of Mark so hopefully a good experience! What logo though? I think they come plain don't they?

Yes, theyre the ones. Went for 50mm front and rear in the end on Mark's recommendation, and Bitex centre lock hubs with CX Ray spokes. Ordered today after a few conversations and email exchanges during the week to agree the spec. May get them end of next week so will update once received. Good experience so far, and certainly working out cheaper than Primes or Reynolds!
  • luv2ride
    My handbuilt wheels arrived from Spokesman yesterday. Fitted them last night but no way I'm risking taking them out in todays gales! :roll:
    Anyway, pleased with the build, just itching to ride them...
    20181013-102351.jpg
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I recently purchased a set of Fulcrum Racing Quattro DB’s and I must say I impressed, beautifully smooth, good in the wind and I paid less than £750 for them. Worth a thought or maybe not !
  • handful
    Luv2ride wrote:
    My handbuilt wheels arrived from Spokesman yesterday. Fitted them last night but no way I'm risking taking them out in todays gales! :roll:
    Anyway, pleased with the build, just itching to ride them...
    20181013-102351.jpg

Very nice, look great. Definitely up there amongst the options Iwill choose from when I do my titanium build although I'll probably stick with 38s.
    Orbea Rise
  • luv2ride
    @handful - I'd certainly recommend Spokesman. Great communications, prompt responses to email queries and a pretty quick turnaround. Having yet to ride the wheels I'm still a little torn over whether I should have gone for 38's over 50's, or even the 38/50 combo. The current (albeit exceptionally) windy weather may be contributing to the doubts, but hopefully a couple of rides will convince me I chose wisely. However, the sh***y weather means I won't now get to try them until next weekend, as I'll be in Mallorca Monday to Friday on a hired Orbea Orca :wink:
    ....seems to be pretty showery there too, though thankfully a little warmer!
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    Been riding a set of Spokesman 38mm carbonal asymetric rims on Hope RS4 centrelock hubs all summer on the Ti machine. Very very happy with them.