FD 4700 or FD5700?

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi.

Just had the cage on my FD 5700 double snap off, so looking for a replacement.

Is there any real reason to go 5700 over a 4700 for a double FD? I've got 105 5700 shifters and a 5700 crankset now.

It's an all weather commuter..

Ta
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Cable pull is different on the 4700 series so it's unlikely to work as well as a 5700 FD with 5700 shifters.
  • bobones wrote:
    Cable pull is different on the 4700 series so it's unlikely to work as well as a 5700 FD with 5700 shifters.

Thank you, just as well I asked then!

guess that makes it a FD-4600 vs 5700 question then...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    4600 and any of the older 10 speed series like 6700 should work fine with 5700 shifters.
  • bobones wrote:
    4600 and any of the older 10 speed series like 6700 should work fine with 5700 shifters.

Cheers. Looks like none of them are available in the LBS's, so it's an internet order :(
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Is it a band on or braze on?
    If the latter I have one lying about. Drop me a pm if you want it.
  • redvision wrote:

Thanks for the offer, but it's a band on, and not currently sure of the right size either as the verniers are at home!
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    redvision wrote:

Thanks for the offer, but it's a band on, and not currently sure of the right size either as the verniers are at home!

No probs.