Decathlon triban rc 520 gravel bike

alan_sherman
alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
I've been keeping an eye on these to see details when they come out. And now details are out I'm a bit meh. The 520 has hyrd calipers and the new 105. I don't get why they didn't go tiagra hydro. I'd rather have hydro than another cog. The Boardman adv, especially after discount from bc looks worth the extra.

I'd say the tribans are less marmite colour schemes though. Weights tbc too so might be better there. Will be interesting to see the bikes in the flesh.

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I've been keeping an eye on these to see details when they come out. And now details are out I'm a bit meh. The 520 has hyrd calipers and the new 105. I don't get why they didn't go tiagra hydro. I'd rather have hydro than another cog. The Boardman adv, especially after discount from bc looks worth the extra.

I'd say the tribans are less marmite colour schemes though. Weights tbc too so might be better there. Will be interesting to see the bikes in the flesh.
    Because it a road bike with disc brakes and not a gravel bike, and most roadies want 22 gears.
  • -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    They look good. Only obvious thing that seems to be missing is thru-axles.

Also, the £250 Triban 100 seems good value - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-100- ... 77732.html
    Only disappointment there is the alloy fork.. but for that price can't complain too much.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I agree with the OP, can't see much point in using HyRds nowadays when tiagra hydraulics etc are available, and I'd rather have proper hydraulics than the extra cog.

Seems to be taking a while for Shimano to roll out the new 105 hydraulic kit, not sure if this is because of high demand, manufacturing delay or perhaps trying to shift old RS505/RS685 stock. Either way HyRd is looking pretty old hat nowadays.

Still, shouldn't be a surprise as it has taken Decathlon ages to get in any drop barred discs.
  • The fork isn't tapered either. I thought this might be an issue for future repair or replace. Then I remembered that decathlon would probably have spares for a bit, and that a whole new frame and fork isn't that expensive! Let's be honest, how often do we replace forks?
  • shewy
    shewy Posts: 62
    i thought the gravel bike was being released later? is this not simply the road bike