cirian75
cirian75 Posts: 95
edited September 2018 in Road general
My new bike arrived today

A Wilier Jareen

Brand new from Chainreaction

there is a weird pattern on both sides of the fork

looks worse under the flash used here.

It is a black carbon fork with a very high shine clear coat, looks like it could just been clear coated carbon, but can see no weave, and the lighting at 9pm in the living room at night is not the greatest

smart phone using its flash was the camera

Pics below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3muZdVCLKu4ghCF67
Pinnacle Neon 3 2017

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,329
    Some weaving is very fine but those forks don't look reassuring. Why not email CRC with those pics and see what they say.
    My 8 year old Wilier is still flawless bar a bit of yellowing to the paintwork on the top tube (common(.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Usually there is a cosmetic layer of carbon on top to make the finish look uniform

That is a bit of a mess that looks like it shouldn't have passed QC. Also the cable entry hole is a little rough and ready
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    It's a uni-directional (UD) finish. Completely normal. Google it - all UD finishes look like that.
  • I dont think it's just the UD finish though, the first photo shows some creases or something in the carbon.
  • imposter2.0
    You can see all kinds of patterns in UD - no two finishes are ever the same...
  • What about the first photo in the series.

Draw a line from the center of the flash towards the 7 o'clock position. That looks like a crease rather than a seam?

My UD bike has the same cloudyness but even the seams between the sheets are a lot neater than this bike (the upside down T shape in the same photo).
  • imposter2.0
    What about the first photo in the series.

Draw a line from the center of the flash towards the 7 o'clock position. That looks like a crease rather than a seam?

Yeah, I can see it. Assuming the finish is outwardly smooth, I personally don't think that's any cause for concern.
    My UD bike has the same cloudyness but even the seams between the sheets are a lot neater than this bike (the upside down T shape in the same photo).

Like I said, no two UD finishes are ever going to be the same. It doesn't imply any structural defect, or safety risk.
  • I guess if it's safe that's important. Just seems sloppy to me.
  • pinno
    If you zoom in on the forks on the picture at CRC's website for the same frame, it's a lot neater than that.
    Whilst I know that frame may have been photo shopped or chosen specifically, it's a mess.
    (No offence to the OP) but I have seen many lower end CF frames such as the Ribble one's and they are a lot tidier.
    If the OP is not sure, as I have said, send the pics to CRC. Their customer service is good and you should get a response pretty quickly,
  • imposter2.0
    Pinno wrote:
    If you zoom in on the forks on the picture at CRC's website for the same frame, it's a lot neater than that.

For the third time, no two UD finishes are ever the same.
  • pinno
    Imposter wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

For the third time, no two UD finishes are ever the same.

Say it 4 times - that way you'll really impress the OP with your superior knowledge.
    ...and despite what you say, those forks look a mess to me.
  • imposter2.0
    Pinno wrote:

UD can give an 'untidy' appearance. It also happens to be the strongest method of carbon layup, which is probably a good thing for a fork. If the OP is concerned about the integrity of the fork based on its appearance, then he needn't be. If he's simply concerned about the appearance of the fork, then that's another issue.

If he sends the bike back enough times, then he may eventually end up with a fork that looks a bit different - or he may not.
  • Pinno wrote:
    Whilst I know that frame may have been photo shopped or chosen specifically, it's a mess.
    (No offence to the OP) but I have seen many lower end CF frames such as the Ribble one's and they are a lot tidier.
    If the OP is not sure, as I have said, send the pics to CRC. Their customer service is good and you should get a response pretty quickly,

I done just that on the OPs behalf to see what they say. They replied that they wanted information on the purchase......bugger. Looks like OP will have to do it herself.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Structurally it's fine but I agree it's a cosmetic fail and I'm sl surprised it passed QC.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Complain; say you are concerned about safety and it looks pap. As soon as you say safety (documented on an email), if something happens they are in the soup! You ideally want it replacing and some free kit :)
    Dave
  • Take the fork off and spray it Matt Black, sorted.
  • I have emailed CRC the pics
    Pinnacle Neon 3 2017
  • Imposter wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

UD can give an 'untidy' appearance. It also happens to be the strongest method of carbon layup, which is probably a good thing for a fork. If the OP is concerned about the integrity of the fork based on its appearance, then he needn't be. If he's simply concerned about the appearance of the fork, then that's another issue.

If he sends the bike back enough times, then he may eventually end up with a fork that looks a bit different - or he may not.

Er, based on what you said, the OP will only have to send their bike back once, and will certainly end up with a fork that looks a bit different.
  • imposter2.0
    sam anon wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Er, based on what you said, the OP will only have to send their bike back once, and will certainly end up with a fork that looks a bit different.

Well, yeah. Different in a way that he might find satisfactory...
  • My cube has similar patterns on some of the matt coloured seat tube, still going strong after thousands of miles. As Imposter says, it's only a cosmetic issue, it'll be interesting to see if they will replace it.
  • They have replied

"Thanks for your email.

I'm glad you are loving the bike. I have checked with our bike experts and they have advised this is normal, it's a weaved design on the carbon fork, and it forms from the different sheets of carbon that have been glued toegether. e.g the lay and weave of the carbon. Looks pretty cool. You have got a better spec than that which is listed under the description and from the advice the bike experts, you have nothing to worry about.

I hope this answers your question, if you need anything else, please don't hesistate to contact us.

Thanks,"

They have said I can return if I want to as well
    Pinnacle Neon 3 2017
  • It looks fine to me - function over form.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • It might look a bit messy at first, but as said already it's perfectly fine structurally. If it really annoys you then return the bike, but I'd say you'd get used to it over time and it will annoy you less.