36H QR Hubs for disc brakes - recommendations ???

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited September 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

I am after a set of front and rear hubs, 36 hubs, 10s, QR suitable for disc brakes.

Looking for a brand new set.

They would be for my new 'adventure' wheels I am plan to build over winter...

Was going for Shimano M525 or Shimano XT but have read not very good reviews/opinions about 'new' M525's.

However, ideally would stick to similar price range....

So I need something fairly cheep but reliable.

Any other options there ?

Thanks

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    When you say "fairly cheep (sic)", what is your budget?

Wiggle have got the XT M756 rear hub on sale for £29 and the front hub for £28.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shimano hubs are very good, and cup and cone is a superior bearing solution to cartridges (better load path and larger balls and working radius) but do need some routine maintenance. Always worth stripping and regreasing any cup and cone, I use Castrol waterproof (aka red rubber) grease, its designed for use in boat trailers (where they get full immersion) so copes just fine in a bike hub.

I had a low level M475 hubbed rear wheel on my commuter, bought used with a small amount of pitting on the cone, I regreased it and marked the cone so it was installed with the pitting facing upwards and used it for over 4000 miles more, hub was still working fine but it was shedding spokes by then.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    JBA wrote:
    When you say "fairly cheep (sic)", what is your budget?

Wiggle have got the XT M756 rear hub on sale for £29 and the front hub for £28.

Yep, that sort of price.

Thanks for the links - seen them (shimanos are on the list but after readings some reviews wasnt sure)