16" Knobblies

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
Just got a 16" wheel bike for Little Slowbike (not that he knows it yet)
It's come with slicks - fine for most of his riding, but we're hoping to get him a bit muddier this year ... so could do with knobblies ...

I see Decathlon do some for £6 - seems pretty cheap :) Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Vee are supposedly bringing out a full range of kids sizes...from the brief clip it seemed to go down to 16".
  • slowbike
    ok - ta ... I was a bit surprised by the lack of 16" offerings on Wiggle & Evans - I would've thought they'd have some reasonable ones there - but no ... I guess kiddie tyres don't usually get replaced in their lifetime ... Little Slowbikes last bike has lasted 9 months so far - hardly any wear on the tyres despite being regularly ridden ... he's just outgrown it ...
  • skiffy
    skiffy Posts: 84
    When I ordered my son's Early Rider Belter 16 the stock tyres were low tread. I asked them to supply with off-road tyres and they fitted these to it from new: https://tinyurl.com/y7pwys8m. This meant that the vee brakes would no longer clear the tyres so they upgraded to bigger full size levers at no cost, so worth checking that too.
  • slowbike
    ta :)
  • slowbike
    hmm ... good question ...

the aim is to take him to QE country park and ride the blue routes (not that I know it - but I've heard it's good & ok for little ones) - I guess he won't need the full grip of knobblies - but as the other option is slicks that he's already got, may as well go the whole hog? Not sure how long this bike will last (once he gets it) - the next one up is semi-slick too ...

Hmm - should he have a second wheelset to swap in? ;)