Pro versus Normal sizing

sebdangerfield
sebdangerfield Posts: 41
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
As per my other post, I'm looking at getting a Ridley Helium.

The sizing chart on one website has different sizes for pros v everyone else. Pro sizing is a smaller bike for a given height. https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/media ... s-2016.jpg

Any thoughts/experience on why this is? Difficulties normal folk may have with the "pro size"?

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    Just go by stack and reach and ignore the rest of it.
  • Pros want to get a ridiculously low/aero and stretched out front end, so they tend to use smaller frames with a huge saddle to bar drop and massive stems.

The rest of us don’t do this as it would hurt.
  • Probably get away with Pro if you have really great flexibility and core strength

most people would go for the normal option
  • The ‘pro’option will make the bike horribly ‘responsive’ ( twitchy ) for most people. Go for the normal option.
  • No it won't. The pro and normal suggestions aren't for different frames, just suggested sizings depending on what type of rider you are.
  • Thanks for replies.

I still don't understand though! You can surely get just as low and longer with the size up.... Is it about having a loger stem or something?
  • I've never seen that "Pro" vs "Normal", chart.

FWIW, I bought a Helium SLX recently, and after years riding another brands framesets in Large (56), found myself ordering a Medium in the Helium. Just went off stack n reach compared to my previous framesets.

Heliums do have much larger headtubes compared to my older frames, so I'm now "slammed" (as I believe da kidz sez)
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    The ‘pro’option will make the bike horribly ‘responsive’ ( twitchy ) for most people. Go for the normal option.

Horribly ? nah just the smaller frame size will have a shorter wheelbase and (sometimes) a shallower head angle (maybe a degree or half or less). Which would balance that out. The wheelbase will make the smaller bike feel more responsive but it won't be drastic.

a smaller frame (typically XXS/XS/S sizes) will increase the likelyhood of the tip of your shoes hitting the front wheel. This will happen when pulling away from side streets turnng at low speeds. So if you've got big feet it won't help there.

Stick to the normal sizng.

Thanks for replies.

I still don't understand though! You can surely get just as low and longer with the size up.... Is it about having a loger stem or something?

Bigger frame size has a longer headtube length. That means there is only so low you can drop the stem. Until it hits the head tube. Higher positioned riders are less aerodynamic. The pro's use smaller frames, to help get the stem lower (better aerodymics) and to get a shorter wheelbase (more responsive handling). With the combination of a longer stem length to help position their weight over the front end to aid climbing. Other benefits of smaller frames is they are stiffer and weigh less.
  • trailflow wrote:
    Bigger frame size has a longer headtube length. That means there is only so low you can drop the stem. Until it hits the head tube. Higher positioned riders are less aerodynamic. The pro's use smaller frames, to help get the stem lower (better aerodymics) and to get a shorter wheelbase (more responsive handling). With the combination of a longer stem length to help position their weight over the front end to aid climbing. Other benefits of smaller frames is they are stiffer and weigh less.

Exactly what I wanted to know, thanks.
  • I've never seen that "Pro" vs "Normal", chart.

Here's the one I saw https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/media ... s-2016.jpg

Thanks for reply re your sizing, v.helpful. Happier going for the XS now.