Ridley Helium X v Merlin Nitro SL

sebdangerfield
sebdangerfield Posts: 41
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi, first post. Hoping for some advice on new bike options or suggestions for others. Cheers in advance.

Me

- Started road cycling a year ago with a Giant Contend SL1 and I'm looking for something a bit lighter and racier.

- I'd like to try some road racing with it at some point.

- Mostly flat or rolling where I live - Edinburgh - but I love the hills.

- Get out to Girona and Cordoba in Spain a fair bit, also up near Torridon (so close to Belach Na Ba)

- Will be based near trough of bowland and the lakes next year.

BIkes

- Ridley Helium X Ultegra 2018 (£1599 from £2749) https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ridley ... -bike.html

- Merlin Nitro SL 2017 Ultegra Di (£1599 from £1999) https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-nit ... 09358.html

- Marlin Nitro SL 2018 Ultegra Di (£1750 from £2599) https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-nit ... 94629.html

My thoughts

- The Merlin's both have elctronic shifting, but I'm bothered about that as I guess it's easier to maintain mechanical shifting.

- Framewise I understand that the Merlin's have the Ridley Helium SL frame, previous pro frame, which has been replaced by the SLX. The Helium X has the, er, Helium X frame - same geometry but lightly heavier than the other two. The difference in weight is small though so again I don't think it should affect my choice if the handling, stiffness etc is the same.

- -Wheelwise I'm not sure what's best.

- The Merlin has the advantage of being abke to choose gearing, crank length etc.

- The Ridley has the advantage that I'd quite like to have a Ridley, and that I can get the bike in time for a month's holiday in Spain I've got coming up.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Admit it - you've really got the Ridley in your sites. The Merlins are an unnecessary distraction.

That deal on the Helium looks great and I don't think you'll miss the Di2 if you go for it.

If it were me I'd rather be seen riding the Ridley that either of the Merlins - but I'm a shallow brand tart
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    I have the merlin nitro aero ultegra di2 and can't fault it. Looks and rides great. Had few comments on how good it looks. Yes it says merlin and not Ridley on the side but doesn't stop me dropping club mates on specialized/giants etc.

If you're a snob then go for the Ridley. If you want the best deal/package then go for the merlin.

Z
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,145
    arlowood wrote:
    Admit it - you've really got the Ridley in your sites. The Merlins are an unnecessary distraction.

That deal on the Helium looks great and I don't think you'll miss the Di2 if you go for it.

If it were me I'd rather be seen riding the Ridley that either of the Merlins - but I'm a shallow brand tart

But the Merlin Nitro is made by Ridley, and it's well publicised as such. Not like Ribble / De Rosa from a few years back, both sides say it's the Helium SL ie the top frame from a few years back.

If you really want Ridley on the down tube then it won't cut it.

But if you really want a Ridley then you're getting the same frame in a higher spec carbon with a Di2 groupset for the same price. You could even get it resprayed if the branding it mattered that much!
  • Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated!

So, Arlowood is right, I'm being a bit of brand tart and the everyone else is right that I shouldn't be, and the merlin does look nice too. So I'm still a bit torn.

Any thoughts on -

- benefits of electroic shifting? I'm happy with my current 105 mechanical on my giant, so not really that fussed about getting better than ultegra. I did just read that they're lower maintainance though which appeals.

- how much better will the SL frame on the merlin (old pro frame) be than the X vrame on the ridley be? Apart from weight, where the difference is 100 grams, will there be any other advantages of the better carbon used?