Tan wall time?

rollemynot
rollemynot Posts: 436
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
New tyres needed for my winter bike... help me choose some tan walls (I know they will get dirty in the crud of winter)

28c width
Relatively fast rolling but with enough winter protection
£35 each budget

Corsa G+ sound ideal but not sure of winter robustness.

Advice, thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,554
    corsa g+ are not robust, good wet grip, but they also cut easily in the wet

i've only used the tubulars, but can't the clinchers being any different in that respect
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Rollemynot wrote:
    New tyres needed for my winter bike... help me choose some tan walls (I know they will get dirty in the crud of winter)

28c width
    Relatively fast rolling but with enough winter protection
    £35 each budget

Corsa G+ sound ideal but not sure of winter robustness.

Advice, thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Thanks

I’ve got Corsa G+ tubs on my best bike, good grip but I can’t help but think they feel a bit lifeless. I’d have mocked someone coming out statement with that a few months ago but I’m not a fan so far.
    I’ve been using 28mm Pirelli P Zero 4S on my Synapse, supposedly a winter tyre but fast rolling and grippy. Probably done 2-3k dry km on them with two flats. You might struggle to get them for £70 a pair but I’d recommend them.
  • If you are going for Corsa's the Control's are a better option for winter riding as the tread is a little thicker

Otherwise Donnelly (formerly Clement) Strada's are a nice option in tanwall and these are more robust than the corsa's
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    Isn't winter the wrong time to be worrying about aesthetics? After a while it all ends up browny black.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    just go for harder wearing tyres, get the tan walls out in spring.
  • My wife has tan walls on her nice bike, she insisted on taking it out on a mucky 60 miler on the weekend rather than her winter bike and the walls are ruined now.

It's really not worth it on a winter bike, they look proper sh1te when they're dirty.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    OP has accepted they will get dirty, I don't think he needs everyone reminding him :P

Other than the the Corsa G+, have a look at Panaracer Pasela PT, Clement Strada LLG and Conti Grand Prix Classics.

I know the Clements received a good review in road.cc as a durable winter tyre.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • But why, you pay a premium for them and they look worse than black tyres when dirty. He might know, but that doesn't mean we can't tell him he's stupid.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd value reflective walls over crappy tan walls for winter.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I ran Corsa G+ all winter last year, would not recommend it as mentioned they cut up very easily being a soft tyre.
    I run conti GP classics on my winter bike they are more golden brown in person but they do last well in winter.
  • I have not had the same experience with the corsa g+ as other forum members have. Been running them all year round for nearly two years and had no issues with cuts or punctures (only had 1 puncture in that time) and that is with three different sets of tyres so they seem pretty consistent in durability. The tan walls will obviously go grimy but as long as you clean the bike regularly they should stay looking presentable throughout winter.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    How about Panaracer GravelKing SK - I've got a set for my Domane SL5 in 26mm, plus a 32mm pair for my TCX1..
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • I agree that tan wall for winter will look rubbish very quickly and most (not sure all) are lightweight, ultra-supple sunday best sort of tyres.

Anyway, I had some S-Works Turbo Cottons, 26mm. They rode quite nicely although it was hard to tell a difference from Conti GP4000s. After about 1000 miles, the tread came unstuck from the carcass all round the rear tyre. got a refund and am happily using Pirelli P Zeros now.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I don't know of a single person that I know that has used these, that hasn't had issues with turbo cottons. very fast, very fragile.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Unless you use the 28mom version. Different animal.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Well, aside from price it looks like the chaps at Bike Radar are testing a tyre that ticks all your other boxes:

https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/ ... ear-52999/
  • kayodot
    kayodot Posts: 143
    another negative comment on Corsa G+; mine picked up a few cuts very quickly (less than 500km), most notably a fairly deep gouge on the sidewall - no idea how that happened.
  • AndyRAC wrote:
    How about Panaracer GravelKing SK - I've got a set for my Domane SL5 in 26mm, plus a 32mm pair for my TCX1..

Depends how much of an aesthete you are, but these are more of a poo-brown colour than a proper tan wall!