Campy front shifting with one, two or three clicks?

kaymanswede
kaymanswede Posts: 2
edited September 2018 in Road general
Greetings all! Just learned from the instruction manual that the front shift on my Campy has three clicks, both up and down. Coming from Shimano this was new to me, am I getting this correctly?

Shifting up: just press the lever. It will do 1-2-3 clicks as needed to shift to larger chainring.
Shifting down: depending on what rear sprocket you're in, click the thumb lever 1, 2 or 3 times, to make sure the derailleur doesn't interfear with the chain.

Is this correct? Suppose you could fine adjust the derailleur position with the up/down levers even when you're using the smaller chainring.

(All this using Veloce 10 speed, as per 2016 version).

/ the Dad

Comments

• zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    Hi

I rode campy for 5 years (10 speed veloce) and that is correct. From my experience I would press the lever/thumb shifter once to change chain ring then if the chain is rubbing on the derailleur I would press it again (and a third time if needed) to keep the derailleur clear of the chain.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Assuming Veloce is like Athena, because Chorus is different, then...1st click to trim to middle, second click to trim to small cogs (ie crossing) 3rd click to big ring.
    There is no trim down on the big ring, it simply jumps to lowest position.
    I usually go straight from 1st click to big ring. 2nd click seem redundant but I found it impossible to set up correctly using only 1 or 2 clicks, and Campagnolo say to use 3.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • As above, three clicks with one to trim.

FWIW there's no 2016 version of Veloce. It's just old stock being run out of circulation. Campagnolo is 11-speed only now, with Centaur the entry level groupset.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    For those with 9 or 10 speed ergo levers, these people can service them for you.
  • De Sisti wrote:
    For those with 9 or 10 speed ergo levers, these people can service them for you.

Perhaps this should be moved to workshop at this rate, but it's something you can do yourself if you are feeling brave. Yes it's fiddly, but the smug feeling afterwards is worth it...

http://www.cyclecycle.info/campagnolo-e ... r-assembly
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OocYpHXJ3Y

Think it took me 2 hours the first time (malfunctioning FD shifter on winter bike circa 11,000 miles) and 45 minutes the second time around (paired RD shifter, out of curiosity more than anything else). No internal components broken - just needed a good clean.

Edit: IIRC, my thinking was that if the service centre in the previous post can do it for circa £60, then it probably doesn't take them too long and therefore isn't that difficult. Some internet rummaging found the liks above. A certain amount of logic/dexterity/orderliness/patience is required if (like me) you don't have a fancy vice to hold the shifter during reassembly.