Cyclocross 18/19

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    MvdP is just better and getting better at a more rapid rate than the others. Even outside of cross he is the national road race champion in a nation that has current monument winners and a sprinter who can be considered top 4 in the world.

That is miles above everyone else.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • The way Van der Poel took out that uphill finish in the Artic Race was just frightening.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Would love to see a situation in a road race where it is mutually beneficial for MvdP and WVA to work together. Would be so interesting to see
  • ShutupJens
    Catching up with Koksijde today. I didn't mind Ant McCrossan to begin with, he made some errors but that was forgivable - but now he's really starting to grate. Only picks 2 or 3 riders to talk about in the women's race it seems, also spending any time comparing lap times between races from the previous year is utterly, utterly pointless. Wish he'd be provided with a co-commentator so he doesn't get stuck in this sort of rabbit hole
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    The coverage could/ should be so much better. Compare to a MTB World Cup on RedBullTV..... were we get 15-20 mins of build up with a track preview, rider interviews, etc
    I'd love to see RedBull get the CX World Cup - the current partners are providing 2nd rate coverage; not doing anything to sell/ grow the sport.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I think Ant does as good a job as he can. I also think he is told to keep it as wide as possible hence all the reports of Nobody McNo one from outer mongolia* in 24th place.

It doesnt help that the mens races are dull as dishwater at the moment either...

(*no offence to outer mongolia intended)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    I don't have a problem with Ant, but a co-commentator would help add some insights. For the Worlds they usually have Simon Burney, who's forgotten more about off road than most have had hot dinners.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • ShutupJens
    Yep, he could do with brushing up on the form riders for the women's races too. Loves Vos (and her aero socks), PFP when she's there, Sanne Cant but struggles with a lot of others. At times he seems so focused on the big names that he doesn't see what's happening in the race, for instance Evie Richards win in Namur last year
  • He does always recognise Laurens Sweeck. Which is good for his fans, like me.

But not when he is tanking as badly as he did at Koksijde.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,150
    Good ride by Ffion James on Sunday at Overijse to take 6th place in a high quality field.
  • Pross wrote:
    Good ride by Ffion James on Sunday at Overijse to take 6th place in a high quality field.

The Belgians have noticed. :wink:

https://www.wielerflits.be/nieuws/brits ... ce=twitter
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ShutupJens
    Quality. The class of British cx riders who are making it to Europe at the moment is great to see, it's not looking like stopping either
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    What happened to the gcn coverage last weekend? I can't find it anywhere. I had a notification that it was going live, but I always watch it on a Monday morning before work.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • This FB for watching it is far less convenient than YouTube for me.
  • There is a Facebook video app available for Amazon firestick if that helps JTC?
  • prawny wrote:
    What happened to the gcn coverage last weekend? I can't find it anywhere. I had a notification that it was going live, but I always watch it on a Monday morning before work.

I've noticed a few times the live stream hasn't been available for streaming On Demand. Annoying as I tend to put it on when working from home
  • johnboy183 wrote:
    There is a Facebook video app available for Amazon firestick if that helps JTC?

I downloaded it but it had a problem logging me in.

Will try again :)
  • It was a bit jumpy today. Gave up in the end.. what were results?
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98
    Van der Poel announced his classics season:

14/02 - 17/02 Tour de la Provence (Fra) (eventueel) 2.1
    21/02 - 24/02 Tour of Antalya (Tur) 2.2
    20/03 Nokere Koerse 1.BC
    22/03 Bredene Koksijde Classic (voormalige Handzame) 1.BC
    31/03 Gent-Wevelgem 1.WT
    03/04 Dwars door Vlaanderen 1.WT
    07/04 Ronde van Vlaanderen 1.WT
    17/04 Brabantse Pijl 1.BC
    21/04 Amstel Gold Race (Ned) 1.WT

I expect him to win at least one.
  • Weird to see there's only 10 days between Flanders and Brabanste Piil.

Could be a lifetime, after Paris Roubaix
  • Aside from the British Cycling feed on Sunday, anyone know if the other nationals races are being shown and where we can watch?
  • So to partially answer my own question, Belgian juniors on now https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=em- ... TS2GIR-SUU Nys jnr in 3rd
  • Venturini takes French CX champs
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Neff takes the Swiss champs in what I can personally confirm was a horribly cold and snowy day...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    ddraver wrote:
    Neff takes the Swiss champs in what I can personally confirm was a horribly cold and snowy day...

To add to her MTB & Road national titles........
  • Geoblocking explanation from UCI

https://www.uci.org/watch-uci-events
  • andyrac
    We know why geo-blocking exists. However, Eurosport have the rights, but only show it on the Player live. For the self proclaimed 'Home of Cycling' that is pretty poor. Put the CX live on either E1 or E2, or don't bother paying for the rights.

If only Red BullTV had the rights; their MTB coverage is fantastic.
  • AndyRAC wrote:
    We know why geo-blocking exists. However, Eurosport have the rights, but only show it on the Player live. For the self proclaimed 'Home of Cycling' that is pretty poor. Put the CX live on either E1 or E2, or don't bother paying for the rights.

If only Red BullTV had the rights; their MTB coverage is fantastic.
    Eurosport picked up the rights as a bundle (road,track,cx etc).
    http://media.eurosport.com/eurosport/pressR/name/Eurosport_secures_exclusive_UCI_World_Championships_deal/id/6931/folder/Press%20Releases/folderId/22/
    The CX rights weren't sold separately.
    Eurosport "The home of cycling (except when something more important is on)".
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,150
    Worlds on live on ES, GB took the junior men's and U23 men's titles through Tullet and Pidcock. Also managed 6th and 9th in the U23 event. Pidcock's winning attack was blistering, just left everyone for dead and destroyed them mentally at the same time.