Wheelset for new build

slc123
slc123 Posts: 407
edited September 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I am slowly starting to collect components for the new build (Trek Slash 9) and I've hit a bit of a roadblock with regards to the wheels. I've been searching for something secondhand but not having much luck. Partly because I am running 110x15 up front and standard 142x12 on the back. I thought that would be fairly common but not that many people seem to be selling wheelsets with that configuration.

The other part to my dilemma is I have no idea what I actually want/need. I've run a set of Easton ARC27 with SRAM hubs on my trail bike and they seem absolutely bulletproof. They're wide, look good and seem to be pretty tough. Bearing in mind my budget for wheels for the new build is about £250-£300, which I appreciate isn't going to get me anything better than the Easton's new. From memory I paid £120 for the Easton's second hand, which I felt was a pretty good deal at the time...

What do people feel is a good set to be looking out for? - 27.5 and ideally the inner rim width would be 25mm+

Thanks
Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    If you have to buy new and need something that fits within budget (despite a few threads on here about variable hub bearing quality) I'd have no qualms recommending Superstar Electro Alpine. Mine have absolutely bulletproof and are pretty light for what they are.
  • have something built. Hubs come in that combination of sxle standards.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I’d have something built too. If you go for a top end of Novatech hub or something from superstar (assuming they have a boost front / non boost rear still available before they launch their new uk made hubs), then something like a Halo Vapour 35 or a lower end Enduro rim from DTSwiss (Starbike in Germany are the cheapest DT rims I’ve found) you could get that in budget.

I’ve just had delivered some DT Swiss xm481’s and got some Hope hubs on order. I think with spokes (and me building the wheels) they’ll come in about £380.

There are cheaper DT rims though and the holes are quite a lot more than say novatech or Superstar. You could still get a very decent wheelset.
  • Quick bit of googling:

Superstar fuel rear hub 142x12 - £80

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/ ... ar-hub.htm

Hope boost front hub - 110x15 - £63

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-pro-4-mtb-front-hub/

DT Swiss e512 (same rim as their e1700 spline - 78 euros (say £70). They seem to be eyeletted so any brass nipples and decent spokes will do.

https://www.starbike.com/en/dt-swiss-e-512/#

Cycle basket sell ACI black double butted spokes with silver brass nipples for 45p each plus £6 postage. So say £38.

Total £251

You’ll just need them to either build yourself or find a reasonably priced wheelbuilder. Most will charge an hour labour per wheel so maybe you’ll get both built for £80 on top of the £251. Will be a pretty decent wheelset.
  • :oops: You might want to check out the classifieds for the front wheel :oops:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • The novatec hubs would not be my choice. bearings seem to be of variable quality but for a budget hub they are not bad.

The best rim is actually the Kinlin TL29. It honestly is nicer rim to build with than anything else (MTB) I have built with. The closest comparable rim is the velocity Blunt 35. The kinlin is alot cheaper and is eyeleted as well. So much so they are on my new Orange stage 4.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • If you wanted to go really cheap on timber rear hub and are happy to occasionally grease the cup and cone bearings then Shimano could be an option.

Also if you want to go really cheap on rims then I think Planet X have got wtb st-i25’s for £15 each. I’ve built a few pairs up and they’re ok - nice enough eyeletted rims - although 1 rim out the 4 I built wasn’t quite as round as it could be to start with and took a bit of work. Turned out ok in the end and been riding them down so rocky stuff with no issues. Went up tubeless nicely too.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Thanks guys, I’ll check out some of these options. In terms of wheel building it’s the one thing I haven’t done on any of the bikes I’ve built. Is it particularly difficult?
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • It requires patience more than anything else - I’ve built 2 x 26” wheelsets so far. Will shortly be doing a higher quality set of wheels for mtb Aeris - Dt Swiss xm481’s with Hope hubs. Just need to order spokes - going to go with DT Swiss competition spokes so it’s no holding back on quality on this set.

I’d say it is useful having a truing stand though - more accurate than trying to true it in an upside bike frame etc. I got a 2nd hand tacx one for about £20. Other ham that younjust need a cheap spike key and you can sort the dish out once it’s in the frame (although I have got a dish tool now because I fancied one and I also now have a spoke tension meter). I built the first set without a tension meter comparing spoke tension to another wheel I have which was also 32 spoke / 3 cross.