Giant Trance 2 2016

JBA
JBA Posts: 2,852
edited September 2018 in Your mountain bikes
Bought this bike new in August 2016 and had a few upgrades made as part of the deal:

IMG_5531.jpg

Changes from spec (in brackets):

Brakes: XT M8000 (Deore)
Shifters: XT M780 (Deore)
FD: XT M786 (Deore)
Bars: PRO FRS 780mm (Giant Connect 690mm)
Tyres: Nobby Nic Evolution Trail Star 2.35 front, Nobby Nic Evolution Pace Star 2.25 rear (Nobby Nic Performance 2.25 f & r)

Within a few months the wheels were changed for a pair of Stan's Arch MK3 on Hope Pro4 hubs. They made a big difference to the ride. Wider rims allowed me to run lower pressures and the wheels are stiffer than the original Giant ones.
I also converted the rear from 135mm qr to 12 x 142.

IMG_6503.jpg

IMG_6598.jpg

That's how it stayed for a year or so, until I bought a second hand Bird Zero hardtail frame to build up and decided to take the opportunity to swap some parts over and convert the Trance to 1 x 11. Now running an SLX M7000 chainset with 32T chainring, SL-M8000 shifter (iSpec II), XT M8000 rear mech and an XT 11-42 cassette.

Ymcbotn_QSFGx7i_R7_Jp_TS_w.jpg

6_RDWuf_NXRve_Zr_Ff_NPc3_DA.jpg

Whilst looking for forks for the Zero I came across a set of ex-display Rockshox Yari 150mm and it wasn't a hard decision to buy those for the Trance and put the Fox forks on the HT.

ATCSE8347.jpg

The Giant dropper post didn't last long and was replaced under warranty. That was sold straight away and I fitted a Specialized Command Post IR to the Trance with a Wolf Tooth remote.

f98d_Pv_LRQACNrj5oo_PRja_Q.jpg

It now looks like this and I am very happy with it. It's an awesome bike and I don't think I'll be changing anything else. At least not for a while.

4jz_WZBTOQye_Zk0_Ev_Eu_Rl_TQ.jpg

x5oxuz_DQ2u_RXa_BICiq_KQ.jpg

IMG_8544.jpg
“Life has been unfaithful
And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009

Comments

• Very nice, always liked the look of these. Some good upgrades there :wink:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • That's a nice looking bike and some very sensible upgrades.

Hope you are enjoying riding it.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Nice and very clean.......

How did you manage to find a colour coordinated front mudguard..
    Also how fiddle is it to use the rear shock lock out,
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited September 2018
    Cheers, guys.
    I love riding it. Can’t get enough of it.

The front mud guard is a standard colourway. Just lucky it matches.

Shock lock out is no trouble to use. Reach down, flick it across and away to go.
    It spends the majority of the time in the mid setting though. The Maestro suspension pedal platform is so good there is really no need to lock it out and I only use fully open for long, tech descents at places like BPW.
    (That last photo was taken at BPW last week.)
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • I have the same shock on my bike and similar to JBA I tend to have it in the mid position most of the time. I sometimes put it in climb mode for hills and the decend on knarly DH stuff. You don't really faff with it that much.
    "Ride, crash, replace"