Boardman slr 8.9 Dilemma .........

seanorawe
seanorawe Posts: 950
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
So remember those lengthy debates about carbon or aluminium? Well it just so happens that my next c2w purchase has an offering of both frames for the same price for a boardman slr 8.9.

The carbon bike has tiagra with tektro brakes. I've had a few bikes with tiagra and I loved it . It also comes in red or grey.

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/pro ... arbon.html

The alloy version is 105 and claims to be around the same weight but only comes in white.

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/pro ... alloy.html

Apart from the groupset they are very similar , so am I mad to go with the carbon just because it's carbon ? Or do I upgrade the group and get the alloy at the same weight? I can get either tiagra or 105 brake calipers for cheap on eBay so the brakes don't bother me.

Is there any real difference in comfort from carbon to aluminium? According to GCN there isn't, anyone agree?
Cube Attain SL Disc
Giant CRS 2.0

Comments

• seanorawe wrote:
    So remember those lengthy debates about carbon or aluminium? Well it just so happens that my next c2w purchase has an offering of both frames for the same price for a boardman slr 8.9.

The carbon bike has tiagra with tektro brakes. I've had a few bikes with tiagra and I loved it . It also comes in red or grey.

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/pro ... arbon.html

The alloy version is 105 and claims to be around the same weight but only comes in white.

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/pro ... alloy.html

Apart from the groupset they are very similar , so am I mad to go with the carbon just because it's carbon ? Or do I upgrade the group and get the alloy at the same weight? I can get either tiagra or 105 brake calipers for cheap on eBay so the brakes don't bother me.

Is there any real difference in comfort from carbon to aluminium? According to GCN there isn't, anyone agree?

I have a selection of both Aluminium alloy and CF bikes. It’s not all about the weight. The CF framed bikes are far nicer, due to their directional stiffness, and damping ability. I’d personally have the CF frame and ‘lesser’ groupset / finishing kit. It’s far easier to upgrade groupsets, and bits and bobs, than outride a gash frame. The Tiagra will be 10 speed, rather than 11 speed, but that’s not a big issue, unless your racing / an actual pro. The Tiagra GS is actually very good.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Based on my experience - I would go carbon.
    thats based on 3 alu bikes and 1 carbon ....not a massive sample I know.
    a set of 105 calipers can be had for £50.
  • kingrollo wrote:

Cheers. Then the debate will be grey or red . Then once the bike is purchased I'll be researching what wheels to upgrade to lol
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • I've not rode either variant of the SLR 8.9, but I own a Team Carbon which I think the SLR 8.9 has replaced. Boardman know how to make decent budget carbon frames. The Team Carbon is nicer to ride than some bikes I've rented that cost 4x as much.

I'd get the carbon one for sure.
  • kingrollo
    seanorawe wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Cheers. Then the debate will be grey or red . Then once the bike is purchased I'll be researching what wheels to upgrade to lol

What ? - there is a red option and you're still considering other colours ?
  • It will match my Ferrari.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • +1 for get the carbon and just put some 105 brakes on it.
  • Cheers. My mind has been made up , going for the red carbon. Ill put better brakes on it with koolstop pads.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    You've already decided but I agree with all of the above. My 2015 Team Carbon has a better ride than the Canyon Ultimate AL SLX I used to own. My sample size is tiny, but I'd definitely choose carbon or steel over aluminium.

Shifting on Tiagra 4700 feels the same as 105 5800, I own both. Its a shame you can't upgrade Tiagra to 11 speed though. The standard brakes on my Boardman were terrible, but 105 brakes are very good.
  • seanorawe wrote:
    Cheers. My mind has been made up , going for the red carbon. Ill put better brakes on it with koolstop pads.

Shimano pads are great and fancy Koolstop ones aren't much better IMO, I'd save your money.
  • Joe Totale wrote:
    seanorawe wrote:
    Cheers. My mind has been made up , going for the red carbon. Ill put better brakes on it with koolstop pads.

Shimano pads are great and fancy Koolstop ones aren't much better IMO, I'd save your money.

The Shimano pads seem to have gotten expensive of late though. They are good, but I’ve got some SwissStop pads, and got 2 sets in the pack for the same price as one set of Shimano pads.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarks-Replace ... B005PVLSG4

These have proved to be good as well, in poor conditions, and cost even less.
  • So now for my next pain in the @ss. I have been chatting with another owner of these bikes for advice as I am in between sizes. My current bike is a medium and the sizes with the boardman is a medium comes with 110mm stem and 44cm bars. I currently use a 100mm stem with 42 bars and I know for a fact that I need 42 bars so I would have to replace them if i want large. I'm around a 32 to 33 inseam but I'm assuming I've short arms as it doesn't take much for me to feel stretched. I was advised to go for the large with the 110 stem but I'm not too sure
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • kingrollo
    seanorawe wrote:
    So now for my next pain in the @ss. I have been chatting with another owner of these bikes for advice as I am in between sizes. My current bike is a medium and the sizes with the boardman is a medium comes with 110mm stem and 44cm bars. I currently use a 100mm stem with 42 bars and I know for a fact that I need 42 bars so I would have to replace them if i want large. I'm around a 32 to 33 inseam but I'm assuming I've short arms as it doesn't take much for me to feel stretched. I was advised to go for the large with the 110 stem but I'm not too sure

look at the geometrey for your current bike...in particular tt length , stack and reach...see which measurements on the new bike are closest to your old.
  • kingrollo wrote:
    seanorawe wrote:
    So now for my next pain in the @ss. I have been chatting with another owner of these bikes for advice as I am in between sizes. My current bike is a medium and the sizes with the boardman is a medium comes with 110mm stem and 44cm bars. I currently use a 100mm stem with 42 bars and I know for a fact that I need 42 bars so I would have to replace them if i want large. I'm around a 32 to 33 inseam but I'm assuming I've short arms as it doesn't take much for me to feel stretched. I was advised to go for the large with the 110 stem but I'm not too sure

look at the geometrey for your current bike...in particular tt length , stack and reach...see which measurements on the new bike are closest to your old.

Doh. Maybe should have thought about that myself
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Those numbers are interesting

My current bike a giant contend sl2
    Tt 545
    Stack 567
    Reach 377
    Dividing the stack by the reach gives a relaxing 1.50 ratio

The medium boardman
    Tt 555
    Stack 560
    Reach 389
    Ratio of 1.44

Boardman large
    Tt 570
    Stack 582
    Reach 392
    Ratio of 1.48

However the large you have to factor in a stem that's 1cm longer than my current stem, and although my giant is relaxed I feel anymore than a 10cm stem on this bike would be too much.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Go and at least sit on one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kingrollo
    seanorawe wrote:
    Those numbers are interesting

My current bike a giant contend sl2
    Tt 545
    Stack 567
    Reach 377
    Dividing the stack by the reach gives a relaxing 1.50 ratio

The medium boardman
    Tt 555
    Stack 560
    Reach 389
    Ratio of 1.44

Boardman large
    Tt 570
    Stack 582
    Reach 392
    Ratio of 1.48

However the large you have to factor in a stem that's 1cm longer than my current stem, and although my giant is relaxed I feel anymore than a 10cm stem on this bike would be too much.

If you can sit on one that thats worth doing - but that meduim looks the better fit going on stats alone.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    kingrollo wrote:
    If you can sit on one that thats worth doing - but that meduim looks the better fit going on stats alone.

This.
    And don't forget, it's generally easier to get a frame slightly too small to fit than a frame too large.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Don't forget crank length.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • If you find yourself in between sizes, generally speaking, both sizes will work, but the smaller frame, will lead to a more responsive feeling ride, and the larger one, a more relaxed / lazy feeling ride. The degree to which each holds true, can be tweaked with varying sized key components. I would go and ask to ride both, then choose, if I were you.
  • Thanks for all the responses. Ive managed to agree with the local Halfords to let me take the bike out to the car park at the weekend. Of course I have just saw my friends Specialized Allez sport and I cant believe how light it is compared to older allez. Its aluminium but its also £800 and Im sure it will drop further come mid October. I might have to convince my wife I need both.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    After all that faffing about I got the bike, I'm just waiting on the right setting to take some pics of it. Interestingly I did go for the Large, and I love the tall head tube, but I felt a little too stretched. So last night I decided to fit an 80mm stem I had in the garage, and I fitted thinking there is no way this will work, because changing from a 110mm to a 80mm stem would normally sound like your bike is too big. Its on now and seems to working great! There is no toe overlap at all, the bike doesn't feel twitchy, I am more comfortable and the front hub is still under the handlebar when I look down, albeit I moved the saddle back a touch. I'm going to go on a longer spin just to make sure I don't feel cramped but so far it seems great.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0