Alternative to Conti 4 Seasons

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
Can young recommend a good alternative to the Conti 4 Seasons please. I don't really want to spend £30 a tyre but I do want a decent tyre that will give a comfortable ride. I really like my GP4000s so assume the 4 Seasons would be similar.

Comments

• solboy10 wrote:
    Can young recommend a good alternative to the Conti 4 Seasons please. I don't really want to spend £30 a tyre but I do want a decent tyre that will give a comfortable ride. I really like my GP4000s so assume the 4 Seasons would be similar.

Michelin pro 4 endurance, are superb.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Second the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance as a good tyre for the winter months. Good rolling resistance, good £$%^&ure resistance and reasonable price.
  • bmxboy10
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Second the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance as a good tyre for the winter months. Good rolling resistance, good £$%^&ure resistance and reasonable price.
    Are they slicks i.e no tread patterns like the contis have?
  • I third the Pro 4's but they aren't much cheaper than £30, a quick google finds them cheapest at Decathlon for £25 each.

If you really want cheaper winter tyres than Schwalbe Durano's are decent and are £18.95 each at Merlin. I rate the Michelin's higher than them though, especially in terms of rolling resistance.
  • If you want good tyres pay for them. If you want cheap tyres then you will compromise. It like on a car. I have stopped buying cheap tyres as the car just does not feel right on them. Even on the camper proper conti camper tyres have transformed the way it drives.

Remember the tyre is the most important part of the bike. It is the contact between you and the road.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Michelin pro 4 endurance as well - great tyres.
    Lots of recommendations - looks like the question is answered :-)
  • bmxboy10
    Just ordered the Michelins - got them for £21 each on CRC which is good as the 4S are more expensive today for some reason!
  • Dorset Boy wrote:

How tight are they though? My experience of Michelin tyres is that they are normally very hard to get on (wheel dependant obviously). Not something you want when it's cold, dark and wet.
  • Dorset Boy wrote:

How tight are they though? My experience of Michelin tyres is that they are normally very hard to get on (wheel dependant obviously). Not something you want when it's cold, dark and wet.

They can be a pain to get on (at least on the wheels I've tried them on).

On the other hand, I've never had to do it by the side of the road (touch wood), as they do seem to offer good protection against punctures.
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    I went from Continental 4 Seasons to Michelin Power Endurance on my everyday and Audax bike, and I'm very satisfied with them after two years' use. I've also now switched to Power Competition tyres on my best bike The direct equivalent to your Continental tyre, I suppose, would be the Michelin Power All Seasons, but I haven't tried them. The Michelin Power tyres are around £30-£35 each, so no cheaper, but worth the price if you ask me.
  • JS14 wrote:
    I went from Continental 4 Seasons to Michelin Power Endurance on my everyday and Audax bike, and I'm very satisfied with them after two years' use. I've also now switched to Power Competition tyres on my best bike The direct equivalent to your Continental tyre, I suppose, would be the Michelin Power All Seasons, but I haven't tried them. The Michelin Power tyres are around £30-£35 each, so no cheaper, but worth the price if you ask me.

I looked into the Power Endurance tyres when they first came out, as I was hoping they were like the Pro 4 Endurance but even better. However, the reviews I read at the time found the puncture resistance to be worse on the Powers, as they do not have sidewall protection like the Pro 4s do.

I stuck with the Pro 4s.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Dorset Boy wrote:

I've found the Michelin tyres to be the same as the Contis in terms of getting them on and off my Shimano rims; pretty easy. Which is lucky because I had to do a couple at the roadside when I got 2 terminal sidewall cuts in 2 different Pro4 SCs. That prompted me to try the Pro4 Endurance. Touch wood, so far no punctures
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    I'm just switching from 4000s to 4 Seasons (havent been out on them yet), but my advise would be not to scrimp on tyres.
    Dave
  • Decathlon do these .

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/resist-9-pr ... 03034.html

They are available in a 700x25 as well. I had issues with the side walls / beads failing, on the first set I bought, but the latest ones have been fine. They grip and roll pretty well too.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Dorset Boy wrote:

Will depend on your wheel, but mine I can remove and refit no issues just need a tyre lever to star the removal.

Good tyres though only had one puncture which was a dirty great lump of glass
  • Over an entire Autumn and Winter I didn't get a puncture when using the Pro 4 Endurances so can't comment on how hard it was to remove them.
    Don't recall them being awkward to fit, this is on a set of Mavic Aksiums.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I have the pro 4 endurance. they are an absolute pig to fit to my khasmin rims.

I have just started using pirelli p zero - they ride superb and hop on the rims easily to...
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    d00d4h wrote:
    I looked into the Power Endurance tyres when they first came out, as I was hoping they were like the Pro 4 Endurance but even better. However, the reviews I read at the time found the puncture resistance to be worse on the Powers, as they do not have sidewall protection like the Pro 4s do.

Some comparisons here, but difficult for a non expert like me to say if the lab tests are really representative of everyday use:
    http://hub.chainreactioncycles.com/latest-news/revealed-scientific-testing-uncovers-ultimate-road-tyre-2/ Pro 4 Endurance wins on lifetime though.