Boardman seat post

felthamy
felthamy Posts: 2
edited October 2018 in Road beginners
Hi Everyone,

I just want to say hello to all you keen cyclists out there and introduce myself. I recently decided to take up cycling after my body telling me numerous times and through various ways that it no longer wanted to go out running. Having not done a lot of cycling since i was a teenager i found that a lot has changed on the bike front, long gone are the days of my old heavy Raleigh racer getting me about!
I did some research and after a few hours or (was it days) and a bit of head spinning i decided to plumb for a road bike, inparticular a Boardman slr 8.9c which i have found to be very light and agile but there is always a but, the seat post keeps slipping and i was wondering if any other of you guys have had the same issue on this bike.

Regards

Steve

Comments

• Hi!

MF would suggest getting some carbon assembly paste and slapping that on before doing up thepost to the recommended tourque value.Make sure the post is clean and dry before assembly.

The paste is gritty to helps to prevent slip.

Should cost less than a tenner for a tub and lastfor years.

Hope that helps
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    No experience of that particular bike, but of slipping seatposts in general. I have both an alloy post in a carbon frame and the reverse.

Get yourself some carbon assembly paste. Slop a bit on the seatpost and reinsert it. Tighten the pinch bolt and off you go.

eg http://www.wiggle.co.uk/morgan-blue-car ... 3165651178

Other brands are available. I have a small pot of Pace branded stuff that will likely last me a lifetime...
  • keef66
    It also helps to stop galvanic corrosion which can occur where water, carbon and aluminium meet, and which could otherwise result in the seatpost being bonded into the frame. So whip it out once a year for a quick wipe down and a fresh coat of carbon paste.

Do the same with the seat post too.
  • keef66 wrote:
    It also helps to stop galvanic corrosion which can occur where water, carbon and aluminium meet, and which could otherwise result in the seatpost being bonded into the frame. So whip it out once a year for a quick wipe down and a fresh coat of carbon paste.

Do the same with the seat post too.

hey hey! boom tish! :D:D

#classicsarethebest
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Pretty sure on the reviews on the website it mentions the seat post issue, seems they are still having issues.
  • keef66
    Hmm, you're right. A significant number of reviews do mention the ineffective seatpost clamp, and couple say carbon paste didn't help. One does say it's a problem acknowledged by Boardman / Halfords and a fix is available (but no idea what unless it's an improved clamp?)

So take it back pronto and see what they say...
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Whatever you do - dont over-torque it to try and stop the slippage - they have had many cracked frames where this has been done. Not sure what the fix is - will ask my friend who works at Cycle Republic.
  • Mine appears fine. I don't know if they put paste in, I haven't checked. But it all appears ok.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • apreading
    Checked with my contact and there is a revised clamp that is supposed to fix it. Apparently it wasnt a good design but they outsourced the clamp to a factory that wasnt meeting tolerances.
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    apreading wrote:
    Checked with my contact and there is a revised clamp that is supposed to fix it. Apparently it wasnt a good design but they outsourced the clamp to a factory that wasnt meeting tolerances.

Did you ever get any more info on this? My 8.9c had to go back to Halfords as the seat post is slipping and they have ordered new collars from boardman. I'd be interested to know what the difference is in the clamp that fixes it.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • apreading
    I am not sure the new collar is actually different, I think they just switched supplier to someone who makes it to greater accuracy.