Shimano Ultegra RX800 Rear Derailleur

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
I need to replace my 6800 RD and was looking at the standard R8000 model but wondered if I might be better going for the clutch version? Seems to offer a lot of "advantages" according to Cycling Weekly :| , only weighs about 20g more but is about £15 more expensive than a standard R8000 version.

The weight gain is ok, but they do mention:

"On the negative side, there’s a small increase in friction in the drivetrain, which is why Shimano gives you the option to disengage the clutch". So for everyday riding you'd engage, maybe if you're doing a Hill Climb you'd turn it off.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/g ... -rear-mech

Anyone using one?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've never had a problem with non clutch derailleurs on my road bikes so I probably wouldn't bother. If you're riding a lot of rough stuff and wanted to reduce chain-slap it might be useful.

Since you can turn it on and off I think you should go for it and come back and tell us how you get on :D
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    After fitting a Sram Apex 1x drivetrain to my "gravel" bike I'm chuffed with the clutch mech. The chain on my 2x Ultegra road bike does seem to slap a lot by comparison when riding over particularly rutted roads. I might be tempted to try one myself to see if it leads to a quieter drivetrain.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...