First Wheel Upgrade

R2_B2
R2_B2 Posts: 6
edited September 2018 in Road buying advice
Hey,

I've been riding a Giant TCR Advanced 2 for a while and thinking about updating my bike. Its currently stock and has the Giant PR 2 Wheel Set.

After looking around I've read that the Cero AR30 EVO wheelset and the Hunt Race Aero Wide wheelset are both good options for first first time upgraders on a budget.

My question is what do people prefer out of these two and would I likely notice a performance difference over the standard PR2's?

Thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not sure what your expectations are in changing from one mediocre wheel set to another, but I’d be very surprised if you noticed any performance difference at all. Tyres will likely make much more of an impact...
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,507
    If you ride on the flat a lot then I'd consider getting something more aero - e.g. Fulcrum racing Quattro. If you ride a lot of hills then I'd go for something lighter.

You may save a few watts but it's unlikely that you'll notice much difference.
  • Ahhh right thanks for the reply.

The rides I do typically vary in flat or hilly. Its probably a fairly even split.

So I'm probably better off sticking with what I have for the time being and saving up a bit for a more substantial upgrade?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    R2_B2 wrote:
    Ahhh right thanks for the reply.

The rides I do typically vary in flat or hilly. Its probably a fairly even split.

So I'm probably better off sticking with what I have for the time being and saving up a bit for a more substantial upgrade?

The question still stands - why do you want to upgrade and what are you expecting the 'upgrade' to do for you? There are many valid reasons to buy new wheels, including the inevitable "Because I just want flash wheels" - but it's still worth thinking about why you want to spend the money and what you are expecting in return. At the very least, it will help to better inform your choice..
  • Imposter wrote:
    R2_B2 wrote:
    Ahhh right thanks for the reply.

The question still stands - why do you want to upgrade and what are you expecting the 'upgrade' to do for you? There are many valid reasons to buy new wheels, including the inevitable "Because I just want flash wheels" - but it's still worth thinking about why you want to spend the money and what you are expecting in return. At the very least, it will help to better inform your choice..

Ah right. There is always some level of wanting new shiny things right hahaha.

My initial thought was to reduce weight, so I guess it does kinda of tie in with the route types with hills.
  • Imposter does have a point that it is good to think about why you are upgrading, new wheels won't be a magic bullet that transforms the bike. However, those Giant PR2's are pretty bloody heavy and not very nice 'feeling' wheels, I still have a set that I use as an occasional stop gap if I have to and they do make any of the bikes I have feel very sluggish.

The trouble is it is very subjective and often people will justify their purchases, but I definitely noticed an improvement when I 'upgraded' to Fulcrum 5's. They seemed to roll better, they're lighter and a bit more aero which all made my heavy Giant feel nicer to ride.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You could go for a lighter wheelset for hilly rides, or a more aero one for flat or time trialling, but it's a bit of a faff swapping them all the time, and storing the ones not in use.

Race tyres and tubes would be a cheaper way of making a tangible difference to the ride.

But if you have the money and you just want some new wheels, there are plenty of justifications you can use:

Bling. Some wheels just do look sexy.
    Aero. Faster on the flat and at speed.
    Carbon. Both the above and they do make a curious noise.
    Wider rim. Currently trendy. Increases tyre volume / contact patch / cornering / comfort (as long as your frame has the clearance)
    Going tubeless. Allows lower pressures / increased comfort / fewer punctures
    Weight saving. Good for hill climbing, and races like crits with lots of acceleration. You can spend a lot of money to shave off a few grams though, and it's sometimes at the expense of durability.
    Serviceability. Handbuilt wheels are preferred by some riders as many factory wheels have proprietary parts which are expensive or hard to obtain.
    Durability. All-weather riding or loaded touring might require a beefier rim, more spokes and better sealed hubs
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Take a look at Malcolm's site to see what your money can buy, these are decent, good quality, no nonsense wheels, his Borg22 at around £300 is a very good upgrade https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collection ... r-wheelset
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • I've got the AR24 evo's and the Hunt's. The AR's have Pirellis on the Hunts have Conti GP RS on. I've not had the Hunt's long but my first impression was that they felt less harsh than the Cero's, not sure how much the tyres played a part. What I would say is I think the Hunt's look far nicer and for most people that counts!

There probably isn't much difference in the two the 24's are obviously a fair bit cheaper so depending on what you want them for will no doubt influence your decision. For me the Hunt's will be my Hill Climb race wheels so I was after the lightest I could get for that budget.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    drlodge wrote:
    Take a look at Malcolm's site to see what your money can buy, these are decent, good quality, no nonsense wheels, his Borg22 at around £300 is a very good upgrade https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collection ... r-wheelset

When my ageing RS10s finally pack up that's where my next wheels will come from. In part because I want wheels which are easily serviced / repaired, and in part because he's just round the corner from me so I can bimble over there, talk about my requirements, and actually try some different width rims and tyres in the bike.
  • hunts are overpriced for what they are and Malc will just punt you some tubeless.

whats your budget?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited September 2018
    Over half of the wheels I sell are without tyres. One today was with tubed tyres, on a tubeless rim. It makes no odds to me so long as people are informed.

As for what will feel like an upgrade well that could mean slot of things.

Weight is not a good guide to his a wheel feels when ridden. Wheel stiffness lateral and torsional have an impact as does how aero it is. Rim width has an impact on comfort but if it's comfort your after switching to tubeless tyres does help that. However wider rims (internally) are a good start and if the wheel is tubeless tyre ready then tubeless tyres can be tried out at a later date.

To maximise comfort look for rims with approx 19mm internal width. I am not convinced for normal width road tyres more internal width is desirable. Depth will dictate spoke count. The shallower the rim the higher the spoke count.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    I have the same bike set up with the PR2 and tubeless. I was out 2 weeks ago and on a climb when I broke a spoke. £42 for the pleasure of having it repaired despite I told the bike shop not to reinstate the tubeless tyres.
    I was toying with new wheels when I got the bike for two reasons:
    this has happened to me before and I bought a set up handbuilt wheels and they never missed a beat but they are not tubeless which is my preference.
    Secondly, I wanted a lighter & nicer looking set of wheels.

I have looked at wheels from Malcolm as stated in an earlier response namely the Borg31s and not the 22s as was suggested. I like what Malcolm has to offer and not to mention his after sales service. What I am still procrastinating about is whether I go for the standard or lighter version of the Borg31s.......I just do not know how the lighter version will benefit me.
  • mf51y
    mf51y Posts: 16
    I have the same bike and put wiggle/chainreaction prime rr50 wheels on with gp4000 tyres. The transformation was amazing not in my head you could really feel it and the bike looks great. The wheels were reduced and got bc 10% off so a gr8 upgrade.
  • hunts are overpriced for what they are and Malc will just punt you some tubeless.

whats your budget?

I was thinking up to maybe £500.
  • R2_B2 wrote:
    hunts are overpriced for what they are and Malc will just punt you some tubeless.

whats your budget?

Do any of these retailers, Hunt etc warranty their wheels for life? Maybe a consideration.

CRC will sell you a set of Prime 50mm tubeless wheels for £475 25mm wide, 1607 grams
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • R2_B2 wrote:
    Hey,

I've been riding a Giant TCR Advanced 2 for a while and thinking about updating my bike. Its currently stock and has the Giant PR 2 Wheel Set.

After looking around I've read that the Cero AR30 EVO wheelset and the Hunt Race Aero Wide wheelset are both good options for first first time upgraders on a budget.

My question is what do people prefer out of these two and would I likely notice a performance difference over the standard PR2's?

Thanks

Have the Advanced 1,also with the Pr2 wheels. Mine came straight off and my 24mm wide kinlin 31 wheels went on (Superstar Components). I am now looking at some 50mm carbon wheels when funds allow. In my experience they transform the bike, I've had carbon wheels before and they were so much better than the alu ones it came with. I'd go for plain, unbadged carbon rims personally, the Advanced 2 is already pretty loud.
  • Aero trump's weight. Especially on hills where the speed is higher.
  • Over half of the wheels I sell are without tyres. One today was with tubed tyres, on a tubeless rim. It makes no odds to me so long as people are informed.

As for what will feel like an upgrade well that could mean slot of things.

Weight is not a good guide to his a wheel feels when ridden. Wheel stiffness lateral and torsional have an impact as does how aero it is. Rim width has an impact on comfort but if it's comfort your after switching to tubeless tyres does help that. However wider rims (internally) are a good start and if the wheel is tubeless tyre ready then tubeless tyres can be tried out at a later date.

To maximise comfort look for rims with approx 19mm internal width. I am not convinced for normal width road tyres more internal width is desirable. Depth will dictate spoke count. The shallower the rim the higher the spoke count.

Thanks.

I'm currently riding with tubeless. Its still got the PR2 Wheels and Giant Gavia Race 1 tyre on.
  • Hunt's are overpriced as they are just rebadged kinlin rims and novatec/bitex hubs. - Superstar component's do a similar thing at less money.

For under £500 I'd go for something with modern wide, tubeless ready rims for future-proofing, nice sealed bearing hubs, spend the rest of the money on some decent tyres.

You can spend over £500 on factory built alloy wheels (mavic, fulcrum et al) but it's a bit law of diminishing returns by that point, you'd probably be better spending a bit more and going carbon for the aero gains
  • tom_down wrote:
    Hunt's are overpriced as they are just rebadged kinlin rims and novatec/bitex hubs. - Superstar component's do a similar thing at less money.

For under £500 I'd go for something with modern wide, tubeless ready rims for future-proofing, nice sealed bearing hubs, spend the rest of the money on some decent tyres.

You can spend over £500 on factory built alloy wheels (mavic, fulcrum et al) but it's a bit law of diminishing returns by that point, you'd probably be better spending a bit more and going carbon for the aero gains

Yep, pretty much. Hunt are trendy and do the job but you can get handbuilt for less. My Superstars were a bit of a bargain for £225.
  • R2_B2 wrote:
    hunts are overpriced for what they are and Malc will just punt you some tubeless.

whats your budget?

Make it £600 and you can get handbuilt carbon rims from Spokesman wheels or CES. Both import rims from China but so does everyone else, they just put a fancy logo on. For £800 you could have a very nice set of handbuilt carbon wheels from Malcolm at the Cycleclinic and have lifetime backup as well for broken spokes etc. Lots of options away from the obvious.
  • Are Hunts overpriced?
    Their 4 seasons wheels are £300. Similar price to other similar options when I looked?
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Are Hunts overpriced?
    Their 4 seasons wheels are £300. Similar price to other similar options when I looked?

They are considering they are just rebranded generic Taiwanese rims and hubs, which can be sourced for less if you look around (similar stuff from superstar components etc)

Though hunt do seem to have good build quality and customer service - I know people who are happy with theirs
  • I have a set of the Hunt Race Aero Wide rim brake wheels. I love them. They look great and the hubs make the best noise. Whenever you freewheel it sounds like you are being chased by an angry swarm of wasps (in a good way).
  • I've got the Cero AR24s which i bought to replace the PR2s on my Giant. The weight difference is significant, almost 400g and you do notice the bike being lighter with them. Worth it? Only you can decide, but thumbs up for the Ceros
    from me
  • I have a set of the Hunt Race Aero Wide rim brake wheels. I love them. They look great and the hubs make the best noise. Whenever you freewheel it sounds like you are being chased by an angry swarm of wasps (in a good way).

Oh well, they must be good then!