Smart watch/tracker - Doesn't need to be flashy

stuart_c-2
stuart_c-2 Posts: 805
edited September 2018 in MTB buying advice
So, looking for a smart watch/band for the 10yo son. He's just started cycling more this year and is obsessed with the stats so figured a smart tracker that records GPS will make his day.

Initial thoughts are the Vivosmart HR+ GPS.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/548743

He won't need to see the details whilst riding (am teaching him to look at the road!) so a simple band like this should cover it. Without the need for big displays are there any other options I should be looking at? Considered a bas GPS computer (Lezyne Mini etc) but hoping the watch element will be more convenient or he'll leave the computer somewhere.

Any horror stories of poor accuracy or inability to sync with Strava? Other options? Don't want to spend £300 before anyone tells me to stretch my budget. :)
"I ride to eat"

Comments

• Can you not just run Strava via a smartphone? You'll get the same stats and can link it with Relive as well.

I know several people with Garmins (Fenix 3 and Forerunners) who seem to work well with Strava and have very accurate GPS. Some of the bigger units might be a bit big for a 10 yo though.

Can't really advise on anything else I'm afraid.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Fitbit and Garmin do child specific trackers. Not sure what features or if too "babyish for a 10 year old.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Was going to suggest strava on a basic smartphone You don't even need a sim card in the phone, just upload to strava when connected to wifi.
    Could use something like wahoo tickr (armaband) if you need hrm - chest straps are usually considered more reliable but maybe not for a 10 yo.
  • Hi,

He has a smart phone already but won’t necessarily take it out with him everytime whereas the watch will always be with him. Probably the main requirement will be GPS and phone connectivity for when he does have it on him. The HR is not a deal breaker, the wrist based would be a good indicator, I’m not getting him into training zones just yet. Would a chest HR sync with most watches? Just in case he does go full crazy with it?
    "I ride to eat"
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Wrist based HRM isn't that accurate for cycling and as you say overkill for a 10 year old. He should be having fun.

I'd get him a tough case for the smartphone and use strava for that.

You don't want him looking at his watch as he's riding along - that's a recipe for disaster.
    You say you want the connectivity to his phone - so he must have the phone with him ? So just use that.
  • I have the garmin vivosmart hr+ it’s fine depending on what you want to use it for? It’s a really hot fitness tracker but when using the gps it takes up to 5 mins to get a signal compared to my garmin 520 which normally take less than a minute.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Vivoactive HR is excellent and currently a steal at Halfords. GPS lock is virtually instant. Just a really solid, user friendly device with everything you need and nothing you don't.